Discussion on the new Album:"Stand up and Fight"

@Crucifier - and no, we do not get off topic since we discuss something that is on the album ;)
@Andreas - yeah, that´s covering what I found and figured out...*shrugs*

Liking it so far, some comments about the bonus material:
- I'd heard "Broadsword" as a campfire song before, hadn't realise it was an old Jethro Tull song!
- Supernaut - is that a bit of Ghostbusters in the middle of the solo?
- Also Supernaut - listen to the speaking bit in the middle for a laugh... "Maybe it's from Denmark?"

Yayyy!
boogie.gif

My favourite song from SUAF is Fear The Fear and End Of An Empire is one of the most EPIC song i know.

I love how experimental the new album is, so far. I don't wanna start a "song-by-song" description of my impressions and shit like that yet, cause I didn't develop an exact opinion on each of them so far, but I really like how, unlike the first two albums, this one *seems* to have been thought in a more "story-like" manner, rather than just supercatchy, with melodies and rhythms that one understands from the very first listen. These songs here are very varied, there's not just one pattern and one structure and I love the rhythmical construction of some of them. Like 'Hunting Pirates'. Almost soundtrack/musical-ey. Or I just love this one particular song way too much. :p
But yeah, overall, I'm surprised and impressed. I was expecting some sort of natural continuation of The Varangian Way, but no, this is very different, more original, sometimes harder to "digest" in a way, but that's a challenge for me as a listener and a proof of courage from the band.

I'm looking forward to hopefully being able to pick up my copy tomorrow.
I had to special order it from the local CD store, and I'm glad that I did because apparently they weren't getting any copies in the normal shipments to this entire province (which is easily bigger than some entire European countries!).

Finally had some time to give the album a few spins. In generally I like the album but a few songs (in particular Hunting Pirates) makes me feel like I'm on a ride in The Efteling. :)

End of an Empire is my favorite song but the very end of it makes me think of The Sound of Music...

In any case, my g/f loves the album, too. Looking forward to the concert.

@ Andreas, you bringing Hertog Jan beer again?

@worldwidewillem
I guess he will ;) at least for me :pP

Anyways, back on topic: I really wanna hear more new songs live...I am sucha sucker for live-versions, because even though that I love the album, it´s always even better when hearing it live XD

My first experience of Turisas was after a life performance. Before I had never heard of them. They were the opening act for Dragon Force. Since then Turisas have me coming back for more. So I'm very much looking forward to the concert.

Enjoy the beer, Cari.

So, apparently my copy of the album will not arrive until next week. Upon looking on HMV's website, the release date has suddenly become March 15th.
I wonder what's going on, as I thought it was supposed to be released yesterday....

WTF?
It was released yesterday from what I know, too o_O
This is really weird... :S

Comparing any Turisas album to the Varangian Way would be unfair - that album has climbed to a pedistal for the effort and complexity the way it was executed.

With that said, then the point of this post is to emphazise something which i havn't seen on any feedback of the new album. Nygaards ability to joggle lyrics and composing, with this musical'ish flair.
"Stand up and fight" is an excellent example of Turisas anno 2011. What really sets Turisas shoulder high from all other metal bands out there is:
1/ the sheer effort and footwork they put into completing an album
2/ the way Nygaard manages to translate his lyrics into his music. I can't name another band who has embraced and successfully managed to use musical and theatrical influence in a band. A good example is "The great escape". The way he tells the myth of the vikings escape is so fluently incorporated in the music. It's a musical without actors.
Nygaards choice of music to disseminate his brainchild that is Turisas is just a logic choice and well done.

The question is: Does anyone know the way Nygaard goes about writing lyrics and composing? It's a personal method im sure, but does anyone have a clue whether he writes the lyrics first then composes or the other way around. Or maybe both at the same time? (Nygaard might know? ;)

The other question, has anyone figured out the part in "Fall of an empire" that say's
"The sea has pulled away,
Like small children we play,
What is this?
Come take a look at all this fish?"

It's just a part of the lyrical content of the track that separates itself completely from the other lyrics - any guesses? Might not mean anything at all.

Crossing fingers to see Turisas a fourth time in Denmark, with the new material.

"The sea has pulled away,
Like small children we play,
What is this?
Come take a look at all this fish?"

It's just a part of the lyrical content of the track that separates itself completely from the other lyrics - any guesses? Might not mean anything at all.

The poor people of Fukushima / Sendai might know.