Discussion on the new Album:"Stand up and Fight"

My two cents. I went to Record Shop X to order the vinyl. I noticed that they were streaming the full album so I decided, "what the hell... I'll listen to it first." The first two tracks are awesomely good but after that I just can't get into it. At the moment it is a real let down for me since I hold the first album highly, the second was a decent follow up to a spectacular debut then now I am feeling left out in the cold (and believe, it is cold out there!).

Have to listen a few more times and see if I can "get it" before I purchase it.

I personally believe the album is fantastic, and really more accessible than TVW. The songs are all catchy, not one mediocre and the symphonic elements are perfect. "End of an Empire" is my favorite for good reason, seriously, if you do not like it at first, keep listening. Unless your one of those metalheads who believe their metal should should be pure and brutal and do not have an open mind to things, then this album should not be weak or boring to you. I am not targeting anyone in particular here, I just noticed many people say the album is boring and not metal enough, which i think is absurd personally.

As of now, I believe the new Moonsorrow and Turisas albums are equally perfect, and those are very different bands and styles. Of course, as many Moonsorrow fanboys believe that anything they shit is gold, they would think I am crazy to say that I hold both albums equally with such high prestige (and yes, I am also a huge fan of Moonsorrow and I am not putting them down.)

Bottom line is, you apparently have to have an open mind to really love the album. Stand Up and fight is one of the best albums I have heard in years. And no, I am not a Turisas fanboy, I just appreciate good music, and those who do not are just plain missing out. That is my two cents :D

So I managed to get a few plays of the new album under my belt and I thought I'd just drop by some first impressions here.

Now I have to set the context of this by mentioning I was a considerable doubter of what this third album would bring - the re-modelling of the costumes, the bands mentions that they wanted a "More modern" approach on the album and above all the Stand Up and Fight single - A brilliant one off, but I wasn't sure how enjoyable a whole album in the same vein would be.

First off let's look at the big picture, the thematic spread Turisas lays before us and how SUAF fits into that tapestry. Battle Metal was very Folk Metal for me, even though it was never intended to be part of the same theme as Varangian way, I always saw it as a scene setter, an introduction to the setting of the band with very Northern roots - Sahti-Waari, Among Ancestors, Midnight sun all giving the impression of being somewhere in medieval Finland.

The Varangian way took character out of that setting and onto an epic Voyage, and whilst retaining some very folky sounds (Cursed be Iron) the Symphonic side really grew (Especially with the Dnieper Rapids and Miklaguard Overture).

SOUF is very much a scion of the Varangian way, certainly the lyrical content following off it fairly flawlessly, the sounds are very different from the 'Original' Turisas if you will though, the Symphonic focus is very obvious, certainly we can see it as an evolution of the concepts started in the Varangian way.

There's certainly a "Big" sound to the whole album, Marching drums and liberal use of brass and strings made it feel less like I was listening to a rock album, but more like I was listening to a great story, almost like a movie in sound.

The Album starts with our protagonists joining of the Varangian guard, and charts their exploits to the fleeing of Constantinople. Many of the songs are very specific in their place in the story, and in that sense I might say that there was certainly a failure on the aim of creating a less conceptual sound. That said, some songs most notably 'Fear the Fear' are very much aimed at the listener and are a really nice explanation of the bands views, which were touched upon in the first album with prelude to R.R.R.

The album is well paced, starting with forceful impetus similar to Varangian way, but early introduction of choral vocals set up the thematic sound quite early. There are few notably weak songs, though I personally found 'Take the day' and 'End of an Empire lacking'. The songs all do very well to capture the thematic settings the lyrics provide - Venetoi! Prasinoi! and hunting pirates especially.

Asside from my feelings that "End of an Empire" let's down the latter half of the album, The Bosphorous freezes over really provided a nice underlining of the saga of the past two albums. It's an enjoyable parallel between the bands small time roots in what many consider a backwater European nation, to headlining at festivals and being on the front cover of every major metal magazine in the past month. Friends got lost and hurt along the way, and certainly different people have come out at the end of the journey... is that a bad thing, well only the listener can decide that.

So, a short summary -

A very Symphonic, Story Driven Album. If you enjoyed Turisas because of there more Folky sound, then this probably isn't for you. However, the symphonic element is well done, and not overly cheesy, with several very catchy and accessible songs despite the clearly classical influences. That said, some points of the album felt a little overdone and too much like a film soundtrack rather than a stand alone piece of music.

What remains to be seen is how such an orchestral piece of music is implemented live, and how it fits into a setlist with the old favourites. With that in mind, I'll be donning the warpaint when you hit the UK this march, and get back to everybody with opinions.

Hope this was helpful and constructive.

At this point, the cat is out of the box: the album is what it is. I would not say friends got lost, but more like friends are still digesting the matured sound. I have listened to the entire album a few times (thanks arsonic for posting the link!) and it's growing. It flows better as a whole as opposed to individual songs, snippets, and concert bootlegs.

cheers,
wm_crash, the friendly hooligan

I caved and listened to the album on Myspace last night. I've given it three listens; once sober, once whilst drinking, and once drunk.

I am more looking forward to receiving my copy now than I was previously.

I'm no reviewer, so I'll just say that I loved the first listen and each listen was better than the last.

I'm glad I caved.

Love the album, Broadsword is definitely the weakest song though.

Edit: I do enjoy the solo in the middle though.

thanks for that link to the streaming, i could finally listen to it and i loved it!
there's something more modern about it than i expected, and it is more epic than ever
my first impression was that it sounds more "rock n roll", though the symphonic and cinematic references that were mentioned in some reviews are obvious (and awesome)
i really, really liked it :)

. It flows better as a whole as opposed to individual songs, snippets, and concert bootlegs.

I feel the same. After hearing some parts here and there I wasn't really sure of the albums potential. But after listening through it with lyrics it grows greatly. Especially the storydriven songs. As I see it now the biggest problem is that the album is too short :D

Just listened to the album three times.
I REALLY love the first 7 songs with the exception of Venetoi! Prasinoi! (has its good parts but I cannot imagine headbanging to this at a concert ;)) and I also like Broadsword - it's different and I like it for being just that.
But I honestly hate the fact that there's no over-the-top epic ending song like Rex Regi Rebellis or Miklagard Overture.
I find both, End of an Empire and The Bosphorus Freezes Over to be very boring to be honest (oh and the vocals at the beginning of End of an Empire sound kind of ridiculous to be true). I would have accepted the calmer Bosphorus song as a fitting conclusion if End of an Empire was more powerful. And with that I mean MUCH more powerful.
I really miss the feeling I get every time I hear the ending parts of Miklagard Overture. I just think the last songs of the album could have been much more intriguing and have a bit more diversity. Especially said End of an Empire seems like it's going on forever with the same parts over and over again which is kind of sad hearing the richness in detail the rest of the album has.
So, it's a good - maybe very good - album, but I really don't like how it finishes, especially because that's what I loved about the first two albums.
So if I had to rate it... 8.5/10. Seven points for the seven songs I love and 1.5 points for the compostion of the other songs. As much as I dislike especially the Bosphorus song - I can't say that it's bad or anything. It's very very well composed but I just think it doesn't fit where it was placed on the album.

have to say I'm loving this album. I was never a big fan of "Battle Metal" and while "The Varangian Way" was really good, there were songs that I would often skip or ignore. But "Stand Up And Fight" is a completely different beast. Every song is memorable, every track is completely distinct from the next while still staying close enough that the album never feels uneven. Definitely going to see Turisas when they come by here in a couple weeks.

Allright, after a couple of spins, it's time to give my opinion.

March of the Varangian Guard: Good opener, that shows the new direction the band has gone by both having TVG and SUAF influences (most importantly with the Holmgard riff). Nothing more to say really. Just a good opener.
Take the Day: On of the better songs on the album. It really give the 80s rock vibe, and to me it really sounds like it could have come straight out of a rock musical. Catchy chorus as well. Would be a great live song.
Hunting Pirates: Whoever said it's like Alestorm, you can't be more wrong. With that said, this might be my favourite song of the album. I always love these catchy and somewhat cheesy songs. Best part of the song being the solo.
Venetoi! - Prasinoi!: Arguably the Sahti-Waari or Jarisleiv of the album but to me doesn't have the same impact. It is really great though, although I wonder if and how it would work in a normal live environment.
Stand up and Fight: The weakest song on the album, as it doesn't have the lasting appeal as the other songs. It do was a good song for the single as it's a good indicator of the new sound.
The Great Escape: Awesome intro after which it gets a bit generic before the Turisas sound kicks in. A song that really has to grow on you.
Fear the Fear: First listening: 'worst song of the album'. Second listening: 'best song on the album'. Further listenings: 'just great'. For some reason I like the "die sucker die" part best.
End of an Empire: Clearly the climactic ending of the album. With possibly the best clean voice of Mathias in all songs. To me it feels like there misses something after the choir part but it does work.
The Bosphorus Freezes over: This song doesn't work for me if I would just encounter it in my random playlist. It really feels like it could and maybe should be part of End of an Empire. I don't know if that would make sense lyrics wise but I'm not that much of a lyrics person anyway.

To me it feels like the first 5 songs on the album are good as individual songs while the last 4 songs feel like they are all in some way connected. Because of that the album feels too short.
Downside of the album is that there really isn't a song that stands out as a future fan favourite. On the other hand, there also isn't a song that's noticeably worse than the rest of the songs.
For some songs I wonder how they work in a live show though. Venetoi being the most important one.

Personal best songs: Take the Day, Hunting Pirates
Least interesting song: Stand up and Fight.

Now I think it's musically the weakest album so far (vocally the best though), and if I would rate it with BM and TVW in mind, it wouldn't score as high, but I decided that it's not really fair. So from a 'fresh' point of view, I'd say this album deserves a good 8/10

I'm still really excited to see some of these songs live. That usually helps my opinion on new songs in a good way.

Yay! Finally received my Turisas CD today (even though I pre-ordered a week ago). I got the Limited Edition with Bonus CD and T-Shirt.

Now I'm all ready for their show in the Melkweg in Amsterdam on the 22nd.

See you there. :headbang:

I downloaded the album yesterday so I could listen to it on the way home (and my CD came through the post today). I've been racking my brains to think what the album reminds me of and it came to me today - it puts me in mind of Manowar's "Triumph of Steel". Not a criticism, just an observation...

it is short but diverse - better short and full of diversity than long with annoying repetitions...

Well, between those two choices, yes, the first one is obviously the best. But I wouldn't mind having both length and diversity :p

Still, being a songwriter myself, I know that this is much to ask, and that Mathias combined all possible resources and sounds he could think of, so one must have nothing short of respect for that - everyone acknowledges his hard work!