Discussion: Viking David Gold vs. Corporate David Gold

'Viking' DG vs. 'Corporate' DG - Who is superior?

• Total voters

David Gold

Son of the Darkest Blues
Feb 20, 2004
No hometown, Ontario.
www.woodsofypres.ca
...which one would be superior overall if they were to do battle in a series of competitive events?

NOTE: To fully understand this thread discussion and poll, please see the previously posted "Grow HUGE Viking Beards" Thread here: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/woods-ypres/279419-grow-huge-viking-beards-thread.html ...and if YOU rock a beard yourself, post a picture of it there!

Here are the facts:

beard1.JPG

Viking DG grows "Viking Beards", he is bigger, stronger, vicious and merciless, without compassion nor understanding but he drinks heavily and sometimes suffers from depression (but he actually enjoys suffering, so it's okay). He lives in the forests of Northern Ontario and his only job and/or responsibilities are the band Woods of Ypres and surviving off the land. His pastimes include writing riffs, reading books, chopping fire wood, reflecting about the past amongst the nature and getting tanked. ...Oh, and reminding people that he is of Finnish descent and how that influences the kind of metal he makes, even though he has always lived in Canada and has never even been to Finland. Also, he has some Finland flags and other Finnish things hung on the indoor walls of his Log Cabin home in the Northern Cold. For transportation, he either hikes, snowshoes or rides a horse (while wearing a black hood, of course). NP: AMORPHIS - "Tales from the Thousand Lakes" or "Amon Amarth" - All.

VS.

beard7.JPG

Corporate DG shaves his face, he is thinner, faster, optimistic, rational, focused and intelligent, who drinks booze in moderation but plenty of water, takes vitamins, eats healthy food, gets at least 8 hours of sleep a night, has actually learned from his mistakes and is known to outsmart his foes. He lives downtown in the big city, but still somehow has a minimum one hour commute to work each day (2 hours total a day) and works a minimum 40+ hour work week. His pastimes include ironing his clothes, organizing his apartment, going grocery shopping, doing his taxes and worrying about the future. Usually, he's a fuckin' stress case! Oh and he sometimes makes metal when he has time. He understands and accepts that he is Canadian, first and foremost, and doesn't really have much of a real connection to his Finnish heritage, and that it would be kind of silly if the fact that his Grandparents came from Finland should influence the style or content of the metal he makes (though he loved his Grandparents very much!). And he doesn't have any Finnish flags hanging in his apartment or anything like that, but he does have calendars to remind him of all the shit he has to do. NP: COVENANT - "SkyShaper" or maybe ULVER - "Blood Inside"

(I could go on adding things, but I have to end this post somewhere...feel free to contribute some descriptive attributes of your own.)

The twist: Based on the facts we have (these photos) and surprisingly contrary to what most people would expect, Viking DG wears a shirt, while Corporate DG does not...Strange.

Please discuss.

:)

Could you perhaps blend the two to make a super Dave? An UltraDave of sorts capable of world domination through metal while still maintaining financial stability. If you grow a short beard, it would work this way. In a battle though, if both were drunk, the corporate David would win due to having control. In the case that neither of the two versions of you are wasted, you'd probably stop fighting, form a band, and...yea that's about it.

:lol:

You look sick and weak in the second one, so I gotta go with Viking DG, though I'm sure some of the match depends on what time of day/night they must fight and the weapons, if any, involved. Would've been a cool poll, David. :cry:

Poll added! :)

They must fight 3 times in one day:

1) The first fight at 6:00 a.m. (when Corporate DG wakes up for work. Note: this first fight is really going to be painfull for Viking DG to be awake this early, unless he stays up all night drinking, and even then he'll be sleepy).

2) Again at 12:00 noon (when Corporate DG is allowed to take his lunchbreak, also the time when Viking DG usually wakes up and walks to Tim Hoton's).

3) And finally again at 10:00 pm (just before Corporate DG goes to bed, also when Viking DG is at his strongest at most creative).

Best 2/3 wins, submission or KO, which ever comes first.

I know who I got my money on...

Let the games begin!!! :kickass:

Tough call....

Corporate DG has the business skills to book a Woods show but Viking DG has the metalness and the shred skills to pull the show off...

Viking DG lives out in the wilderness, jams out metal and has a good time, but Corporate DG has the job and financial planning to fund Mr Viking's metal adventures...

Viking DG has the crazy metal riffage to write insane tunes, but Corporate DG has the discipline to get the Viking to the studio on time to record the cd...

it is a tough call, and a very close decision, but I say Viking DG wins by a 'hair' :headbang:

Can we include weapons in this? Viking DG should have an axe or halberd of some sort and Corporate DG should have wing tipped shoes and maybe a stapler. Also where do they meet? Kirkland Lake or the corner of Bay Street and Wellington? Who gets homefield advantage?

I voted Corporate-- while it's true that the Viking DG is the purveyor of the Iron Grudge, et al, it is the Corporate DG that does all the behind-the-scenes stuff to promote, market, and distro his vision.

I dunno, Viking DG is a viking, but Corporate listens to one of the coolest releases ever. Blood Inside!

My fanboyism towards ulver just got Corporate another vote. :kickass:

Can't decide, the beard is key, and same with living in the woods, but the other David is intelligent, I can't decide.

VIKING DAVID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not if, but when you finally make the transformation from being a stressed out office dude to a forest dwelling metal viking, I will so be right there with you! I'll have a peasant cottage with a black horse and a white horse, and I'll spend my days cooking stews, making clothes, writing piano melodies, and studying alchemy. This is going to happen- you just wait and see!