Disillusion's "Back to Times of Splendor", just how wide reaching is this album?

Okay. Ill try to get around to it.

BTToS seems like somethign I would have spooged over about 3 or 4 years ago but not now.

As for Gloria...give me more info. I wish I knew about Depressive Age cuz that doesnt help me a bit.

Whoaa... "Beyond Illusions" comes from their first album, it is quite interesting that you mention SOAD, a friend of mine said that Depressive Age could have been a big influence to SOAD but by "Electric Scum (their 4th and last album, quite different to "First Depression") and on the vocals maybe, not music. The thing is that SOAD definetally did not listen to Depressive Age at all. Anyway, did you like it?

Alright IoTS, I just ordered Electric Scum because I trust you. If I dont like it, Im gonna fly to Greece and fuck you up the ass like your ancestors used to take it. :tickled:

Naa, really I ordered it because if I do like it, it would probably be the only time I would be able to get it, seeing as it is very hard to come by. So, if I dont dig it, I can easily sell it for as much as I bought it for.

We'll see....We shall further discuss this matter next week. Enough for now.

Whoaa... "Beyond Illusions" comes from their first album, it is quite interesting that you mention SOAD, a friend of mine said that Depressive Age could have been a big influence to SOAD but by "Electric Scum (their 4th and last album, quite different to "First Depression") and on the vocals maybe, not music. The thing is that SOAD definetally did not listen to Depressive Age at all. Anyway, did you like it?

That song was pretty rad, yeah. Thrashy, technical, yet quirky. I cant find that first album anywhere though. The two between Electric Scum and Beyond Illusions are easy to come by though. On amazon, there is like 50 copies of Lying In Wait for .01 each. :tickled:

"Electric Scum" is kinda hard to get...it is also their most ambitious and progressive work. I am not sure if you are going to like it really, but i hope you'll do. To tell you the truth, i would not recommend it to you, without telling you to listen to it first..... just to avoid the ass humping :oops:

"Gloria" is simply one of the most amazing pieces of music i heard in the recent years. I can't stop listening to it.

Careful now! You don't want to end up with *two* guys humping your ass! Even though my motivation would be pure man-love (the opposite of Doomcifer's revenge-fuck), I don't think those are the sort of things that can cancel each other out!

and, if i have to be really bold, to what Queensryche did with "Rage For Order".

Wow, excellent reference! I hadn't thought of that before, but it really fits.

Album 1: The Warning / Back to Times of Splendor
After good but not-groundbreaking EPs, both bands release very good debut albums that put a slight twist on a then-popular genre (NWOBHM / NWOSDM)

Album 2: Rage For Order / Gloria
Both bands make a huge leap forward and create something completely unique that no one has ever heard before, and they both sound like the future.

I agree about it perhaps being a bit premature to make claims like that, especially since Rage For Order has somehow managed to STILL sound like the future, 20 years later. It's hard to say what Gloria will sound like in 2026, but I'd say it's not out of the realm of possibility that it could hold up just as well. Especially since I don't see a lot of bands copying it (since everyone hates it!); I think the lack of RfO clones really helps that album's longevity.

I *can* say that the album is still holding up just as well after six months as it did the first week, so there's hope!

So you're saying that next from Disillusion we'll have an excellent full-length concept album done in a relatively standard metal style for 2008? A metalcore or post-metal album about world terrorism?

Oh yeah, and now I really need to check out Depressive Age!

Neil

Album 1: The Warning / Back to Times of Splendor
After good but not-groundbreaking EPs, both bands release very good debut albums that put a slight twist on a then-popular genre (NWOBHM / NWOSDM)

Album 2: Rage For Order / Gloria
Both bands make a huge leap forward and create something completely unique that no one has ever heard before, and they both sound like the future.

You are really expanding what i thought, because i didn't think of it as a comparison of their discographies' paths, just about the fact of the progressive value of both albums, that you mention. Also the impressions about "Gloria" are mixed, as were for "RFO" back then. I used compare the discographies of Queensryche and Nevermore, almost in the same way, and the comparison was to almost the point until "DWIADW", but unfortunately Nevermore never released their "Promised Land".

I agree about it perhaps being a bit premature to make claims like that, especially since Rage For Order has somehow managed to STILL sound like the future, 20 years later. It's hard to say what Gloria will sound like in 2026, but I'd say it's not out of the realm of possibility that it could hold up just as well. Especially since I don't see a lot of bands copying it (since everyone hates it!); I think the lack of RfO clones really helps that album's longevity.
Indeed. I can only think of only one band and one album (House Of Spirits - Tides) that made something that has "RFO" as its primary and obvious influence.

So you're saying that next from Disillusion we'll have an excellent full-length concept album done in a relatively standard metal style for 2008? A metalcore or post-metal album about world terrorism?
I am not saying this, but i sure hope that it's not anywhere near metalcore or post-metal, concept albums rock of course and they are always welcomed. If we keep the QR comparison, it should be more straight forward and traditional sounding than "Gloria", as was "Operation: Mindcrime" compared to "Rage For Order"

Ok here lies the truth:

"Back To Times of Splendor" is a really great album with awesome riffing and smart composing tricks. But....

"Gloria" is simply one of the most amazing pieces of music i heard in the recent years. I can't stop listening to it. Every single idea on it is spectacular, the songs are truly progressive in every aspect of them, and just PERFECT. I can only compare the importance of this genious piece of work with "Electric Scum" by Depressive Age (an obvious influence, as the early Depressive Age albums are an obvious influence to BTTOS) and, if i have to be really bold, to what Queensryche did with "Rage For Order". Maybe too early to pass such judgment but i haven't been that impressed with a new album for a long long time.

I had a feeling you would like Disillusion, and I even thought you'd prefer "Gloria", so I'm glad you like. That said, you came to some massive conclusion here in only owning the album for 3 days! ;)

IOftheStorm is exactly right on all counts in this thread.

Times of Splendor = great
Gloria = amazing
Depressive Age = kicks your ass on all albums, but Electric Scum is a big jump ahead of the rest of the catalog

Is the reformed Depressive Age's new album ever coming out? Pretty sure it's just the singer that's the same, and the samples sounded like a step down, but still decent.

Oh, and I didn't heard Times of Splendor until after Gloria, both of which I heard in December-January.