Dismember - Where Iron Crosses Grow

Dec 21, 2003
Sudbury, Canada
Dismember - Where Iron Crosses Grow
Candlelight Records - 2004
By Adam McAuley

dismember.jpg

Being only my second exposure to the band, I wasn't really sure what to expect with this release. Sad really, because judging from the material on this album, Dismember have been producing far more worthwhile material than their lauded counterparts Entombed in recent times.

Where Iron Crosses Grow incorporates a modern sound without completely losing the authenticity that made classics like the other album I've heard from them, Like an Ever Flowing Stream, so satisfying. The production is crunchy and the arrangements are relatively simple, but never fall into that ridiculous death n' roll rut that Entombed made their niche after Clandestine. A rather uniform sound is maintained throughout, but one will notice a more varied approach than Like an Ever Flowing Stream. Syncopation is also used forcefully - as in previous efforts - and riffs tend to collapse back onto each other in a moving and powerful manner. The classic melodic leads can also be found throughout, and they're as effective as ever. The last two tracks are slightly more notable than the rest and offer a solid finish to an enjoyable album.

"Children of the Cross" is a very interesting piece that will enthral you with a slower and more lurching tempo than preceding tracks. "As I Pull the Trigger" serves as an effective build-up into an excellent finale. Guitars are layered, and melodic leads take precedence to close things off in style. I still don't get the same feeling here as I did with the Swedish classics, however. It's a quality album, but doesn't quite have the timeless feel and raw nature that made early albums by the likes of this band, Entombed and Grave so remarkable upon first listen. Nonetheless, Where Iron Crosses Grow comes recommended for fans of the band, and people looking for well-constructed death metal.

7.5/10

Candlelight Records’ Official Website
Dimember’s Official Website