Distorted Mind has been interviewed by the Courier Post (local newspaper)

Will Bozarth

Everlasting Godstopper
Jan 26, 2002
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
How did you guys get started?
-
Will
Well, I formed a band with a few of my friends from school in December of 2002. It was called Death County. On drums- Dan Lehman, on rhythm guitar- Mike Simoni, on bass- Frank Fitzgerald. I was the lead guitarist and vocalist. After a month or so, Mike introduced us to Bill Schroeder (Distorted Mind bassist). After seeing what Bill (a metal-trained bassist) did, compared to what Frank (a punk-trained bassist) did… we quickly brought Bill in to the band. What ever happened to Frank, we don’t know hahahahahaha! Fast-forwarding a little bit, an old acquaintance, by the name of George Rose, introduced me to a drummer by the name of Ian McCann. I met up with him at his house, and we jammed for a little bit.

As time progressed, Dan decided to let us focus on Distorted Mind, and that was the end of Death County, sadly. The original intent was to have two bands, and do different things with both of them. So, at this point, everything started going to Distorted Mind. Mike Simoni was in the band for a little while, but he wound up quitting for personal reasons. So, here we are now… a three-piece Doom/Death/Thrash Metal outfit.

Bill
Well, my friend Mike Simoni said his band needed a bassist. I said I was up to trying out for the band. This is how I met Will. He was the guitarist/vocalist in the band. After trying out, I was accepted into the band. A few weeks later, practices were scarce, and nothing was really progressing. Will was introduced to Ian through George Rose, and that’s how Distorted Mind started. Ian took over the drumming, and Mike ended up leaving the band. That’s where the band stands as of now. However, we are currently looking for a second guitarist.

-
Why did you start the band?
-

Will
For reasons other than the fact that current mainstream music such as Slipknot, Mudvayne, Linkin Park, Metallica, Justin Timberlake, Marilyn Manson, Good Charlotte, Sum 41, Blink 182, Kelly Osbourne, Ozzy Osbourne, 50 Cents (There is an ‘s’ at the end. I speak grammatically correct, thank you), and other garbage being force-fed in to your minds by the media and tone deaf music stations and channels are entirely meaningless and completely disrespectful to real music beyond the point of gagging myself to death, through the nose, with a rusty knife… Besides that point, Metal is my life. I live, breathe, eat, sleep, and will die metal. I want to pay back what my idols have given to me, in the form of music inspired by their preaching.

Bill
To make good music, and to get our music heard. We want to go somewhere with this band, and there’s nothing that will keep us from that.

Ian
Because I’ve been trying to get in a band for about five years now. I picked up my first drumkit and hooked up with two guitarists, and it never worked out. I moved from Woodbury to Oak Valley, lost my two guitarists. George Rose heard I was looking for a band, and Distorted Mind was formed after I was introduced to Will Bozarth.

-
How long have you been playing together?
-

Will
We have been together since the middle of May 2003. Our half-year anniversary is coming up. Time flies when you’re making real music.

Bill
Not too long. I’d say we started around early May.

-
Who writes the songs?
-

Will
We do, of course. We aren’t a talentless pop ‘group’ that needs other people to write songs for them. Primarily, I write the lyrics.

Bill
Lyrically, Will writes the songs. Musically, every member contributes. There have been songs where different members have done more than others have, but everyone puts in a good amount. We all do our fair share from adding guitar riffs to figuring out how the drums should go. It’s not one member behind the writing.

-
What do you sing about?
-

Bill
That’s all up to Will.

Will
I write the lyrics about personal experiences. Why would I write about something that I know nothing of? Something else certain people get on my case about is that I refrain from using obscenities in my writings. When bands do this, it proves a point to me that nobody takes the time to sit back and think about what they want to write about. As a poet, it is rather offensive when words are not spoken in the way they should be.

A prime example would be in our song ‘Lost in the Tears of Reality’. I wrote this song about two different people, who will remain nameless. The first half of the song is about a former girlfriend who made me feel like I was on top of the world, and then she made my world crumble like the proverbial cookie. The second half of the song is about a former friend of mine that took the friendship I gave in return, and didn’t see the true side of what I had to offer. From being a friend who once healed me, to being the friend who broke me. Where I am getting at, is I can easily use some “f” words or “s” words, but I choose not to. Words are stronger than other words. Outsmart people!

With this being said, I guess my current lyrical phase is in the department of betrayal, shattered hopes, and how unfair the world is. This also brings forth the appropriate name of the song ‘Lost in the Tears of Reality’, which has also been chosen as our debut album’s title.

-
What is your band's name and why did you chose that name?
-

Will
Our name is Distorted Mind. I’m not exactly sure how we came up with it… it just sort of popped in to our distorted minds... wait! THAT'S IT!

Bill
Our name is Distorted Mind, and honestly I have no idea how we came up with that. We just came up with the name, and went along with it. Otherwise, I don’t think there’s any significance behind it.

Ian
I came up with the name in my third-period Math class last year. I got really bored and wrote down names on the back of my worksheet. I asked everyone what they thought were the best names, and Distorted Mind was the most popular.

-
Who plays what instrument and who sings?
-

Will
Bill Schroeder is on the bass; Ian McCann is on the drums, and I (Will Bozarth) am on guitar and vocals.

Bill
Will Bozarth plays the guitar and does vocals. Ian McCann plays the drums. And I, Bill Schroeder, play the bass guitar in the band.

-
Who or what is your inspiration?
-

Will
This definitely varies within the band, but with the guitar riffs that I write… I’d have to say Death, Morbid Angel, My Dying Bride, Nevermore, Emperor, and Candlemass. My vocal influences are of Dark Tranquillity, Death, Morbid Angel, My Dying Bride, Emperor, and The Prophecy fashion.

Although, if you mean what inspires us mentally… I’d have to say that bringing out the same feelings, that my favorite bands bring out in me, in other people. I can be entirely relaxed while listening to Norwegian Black Metal or by listening to some obscure form of Finnish Death Metal. I can forget about my daily problems, and learn that people feel the same that I do. I can relate to the music, you know? I want people to relate to the music we write. In knowing that there is at least one person listening to our music and saying, “Wow… that was deep,” or saying, “So true,” I know that I have done my part lyrically.

Bill
I want to go somewhere with this band, and I think it’s safe to say the other band members feel the same. Music is a major part of my life, and if I could make a career out of creating and performing music, I would do anything for that.

Ian
Sadly to say, Lars Ulrich. Ever since I heard my first Metallica album, I had to pick up a pair of drumsticks. But, my first Metallica album WAS the self-titled. I don’t want people to think I want to be a drummer because of the trash cans on St. Anger. Also, I don’t loop my double bass recordings hahahahaha.

-
Anything you want to add, you can...
-

Ian
I would like to thank the Courier Post for sticking this interview in the paper, and letting us get our name out in the public. Also, I’d like to thank Will for dressing up like Spiderman and dancing on the side of the road. Without that, we wouldn’t be able to have this interview! That would be it for me…

Bill
I’d like to thank the Courier Post for doing this interview. And to anyone who hasn’t heard our music, check us out, it won’t be a waste of time…

Will
I’d like to thank the Courier Post, especially Jeanine, for the opportunity to get our band exposure in your publication. We are also looking for another guitarist that has the ability to play complicated riffs. If the guitarist can also sing, that’s a plus! Also, we are looking for shows. Let us play some place, people! And to close out the interview, I’d like to do so just as one of my idols has in the past. Let the metal flow into eternity! Rest in peace Chuck!

dead6skin6mask6 said:
-
-

Will
We have been together since the middle of May 2003. Our half-year anniversary is coming up. Time flies when you’re making real music.

:lol: I bet that pisses off 99.763% of the readers.

dead6skin6mask6 said:
-
-

Ian
Sadly to say, Lars Ulrich. Ever since I heard my first Metallica album, I had to pick up a pair of drumsticks. But, my first Metallica album WAS the self-titled. I don’t want people to think I want to be a drummer because of the trash cans on St. Anger. Also, I don’t loop my double bass recordings hahahahaha.

BURN LARZ!!! BURN!!!!

dead6skin6mask6 said:
How did you guys get started?
-
Will
Well, I formed a band with a few of my friends from school in December of 2002. It was called Death County. On drums- Dan Lehman, on rhythm guitar- Mike Simoni, on bass- Frank Fitzgerald. I was the lead guitarist and vocalist. After a month or so, Mike introduced us to Bill Schroeder (Distorted Mind bassist). After seeing what Bill (a metal-trained bassist) did, compared to what Frank (a punk-trained bassist) did… we quickly brought Bill in to the band. What ever happened to Frank, we don’t know hahahahahaha! Fast-forwarding a little bit, an old acquaintance, by the name of George Rose, introduced me to a drummer by the name of Ian McCann. I met up with him at his house, and we jammed for a little bit.

As time progressed, Dan decided to let us focus on Distorted Mind, and that was the end of Death County, sadly. The original intent was to have two bands, and do different things with both of them. So, at this point, everything started going to Distorted Mind. Mike Simoni was in the band for a little while, but he wound up quitting for personal reasons. So, here we are now… a three-piece Doom/Death/Thrash Metal outfit.

Bill
Well, my friend Mike Simoni said his band needed a bassist. I said I was up to trying out for the band. This is how I met Will. He was the guitarist/vocalist in the band. After trying out, I was accepted into the band. A few weeks later, practices were scarce, and nothing was really progressing. Will was introduced to Ian through George Rose, and that’s how Distorted Mind started. Ian took over the drumming, and Mike ended up leaving the band. That’s where the band stands as of now. However, we are currently looking for a second guitarist.

-
Why did you start the band?
-

Will
For reasons other than the fact that current mainstream music such as Slipknot, Mudvayne, Linkin Park, Metallica, Justin Timberlake, Marilyn Manson, Good Charlotte, Sum 41, Blink 182, Kelly Osbourne, Ozzy Osbourne, 50 Cents (There is an ‘s’ at the end. I speak grammatically correct, thank you), and other garbage being force-fed in to your minds by the media and tone deaf music stations and channels are entirely meaningless and completely disrespectful to real music beyond the point of gagging myself to death, through the nose, with a rusty knife… Besides that point, Metal is my life. I live, breathe, eat, sleep, and will die metal. I want to pay back what my idols have given to me, in the form of music inspired by their preaching.

Bill
To make good music, and to get our music heard. We want to go somewhere with this band, and there’s nothing that will keep us from that.

Ian
Because I’ve been trying to get in a band for about five years now. I picked up my first drumkit and hooked up with two guitarists, and it never worked out. I moved from Woodbury to Oak Valley, lost my two guitarists. George Rose heard I was looking for a band, and Distorted Mind was formed after I was introduced to Will Bozarth.

-
-

Will

Bill
Not too long. I’d say we started around early May.

-
Who writes the songs?
-

Will
We do, of course. We aren’t a talentless pop ‘group’ that needs other people to write songs for them. Primarily, I write the lyrics.

Bill
Lyrically, Will writes the songs. Musically, every member contributes. There have been songs where different members have done more than others have, but everyone puts in a good amount. We all do our fair share from adding guitar riffs to figuring out how the drums should go. It’s not one member behind the writing.

-
What do you sing about?
-

Bill
That’s all up to Will.

Will
I write the lyrics about personal experiences. Why would I write about something that I know nothing of? Something else certain people get on my case about is that I refrain from using obscenities in my writings. When bands do this, it proves a point to me that nobody takes the time to sit back and think about what they want to write about. As a poet, it is rather offensive when words are not spoken in the way they should be.

A prime example would be in our song ‘Lost in the Tears of Reality’. I wrote this song about two different people, who will remain nameless. The first half of the song is about a former girlfriend who made me feel like I was on top of the world, and then she made my world crumble like the proverbial cookie. The second half of the song is about a former friend of mine that took the friendship I gave in return, and didn’t see the true side of what I had to offer. From being a friend who once healed me, to being the friend who broke me. Where I am getting at, is I can easily use some “f” words or “s” words, but I choose not to. Words are stronger than other words. Outsmart people!

With this being said, I guess my current lyrical phase is in the department of betrayal, shattered hopes, and how unfair the world is. This also brings forth the appropriate name of the song ‘Lost in the Tears of Reality’, which has also been chosen as our debut album’s title.

-
What is your band's name and why did you chose that name?
-

Will
Our name is Distorted Mind. I’m not exactly sure how we came up with it… it just sort of popped in to our distorted minds... wait! THAT'S IT!

Bill
Our name is Distorted Mind, and honestly I have no idea how we came up with that. We just came up with the name, and went along with it. Otherwise, I don’t think there’s any significance behind it.

Ian
I came up with the name in my third-period Math class last year. I got really bored and wrote down names on the back of my worksheet. I asked everyone what they thought were the best names, and Distorted Mind was the most popular.

-
Who plays what instrument and who sings?
-

Will
Bill Schroeder is on the bass; Ian McCann is on the drums, and I (Will Bozarth) am on guitar and vocals.

Bill
Will Bozarth plays the guitar and does vocals. Ian McCann plays the drums. And I, Bill Schroeder, play the bass guitar in the band.

-
-

Will
This definitely varies within the band, but with the guitar riffs that I write… I’d have to say Death, Morbid Angel, My Dying Bride, Nevermore, Emperor, and Candlemass. My vocal influences are of Dark Tranquillity, Death, Morbid Angel, My Dying Bride, Emperor, and The Prophecy fashion.

Although, if you mean what inspires us mentally… I’d have to say that bringing out the same feelings, that my favorite bands bring out in me, in other people. I can be entirely relaxed while listening to Norwegian Black Metal or by listening to some obscure form of Finnish Death Metal. I can forget about my daily problems, and learn that people feel the same that I do. I can relate to the music, you know? I want people to relate to the music we write. In knowing that there is at least one person listening to our music and saying, “Wow… that was deep,” or saying, “So true,” I know that I have done my part lyrically.

Bill
I want to go somewhere with this band, and I think it’s safe to say the other band members feel the same. Music is a major part of my life, and if I could make a career out of creating and performing music, I would do anything for that.

Ian

-
Anything you want to add, you can...
-

Ian
I would like to thank the Courier Post for sticking this interview in the paper, and letting us get our name out in the public. Also, I’d like to thank Will for dressing up like Spiderman and dancing on the side of the road. Without that, we wouldn’t be able to have this interview! That would be it for me…

Bill
I’d like to thank the Courier Post for doing this interview. And to anyone who hasn’t heard our music, check us out, it won’t be a waste of time…

Will
I’d like to thank the Courier Post, especially Jeanine, for the opportunity to get our band exposure in your publication. We are also looking for another guitarist that has the ability to play complicated riffs. If the guitarist can also sing, that’s a plus! Also, we are looking for shows. Let us play some place, people! And to close out the interview, I’d like to do so just as one of my idols has in the past. Let the metal flow into eternity! Rest in peace Chuck!

WHO FUCKING CARES!!! I'm not even going to take the time to read this stupid shit. I hope a thousand horses rape your mother... FUCK YOU!!

distorted mind RULES!! said:
WHO FUCKING CARES!!! I'm not even going to take the time to read this stupid shit. I hope a thousand horses rape your mother... FUCK YOU!!

why waste time insulting them after stating your time is to precious to read the artical

and how do you know it is infact "stupid shit" if you didn't read it you ignorant bastard

looks like your a very confused person