Distortion for Bass Guitar

burn4ever

May 24, 2009
Hey,
I´m looking for an distortion unit/pedal that is comparable with the Microtubes B7K, but for a lower budget.
Need the distortion only for recording.
Advices are welcome.

Thanks,
will check it.

BTW.
Does anybody achieve a nice distortion sound wit soundtoys decapitator?
I love this plug on drums or vocals but find it hard to use it on bass guitar.

I have the new MXR M85 Bass Distortion on it's way to me, I'll post my thoughts once I get it. Still want the B7K for the "always-on" grit/grind, and then something like the M85 for more over the top.

I've got the AMT and the Behringer Bass Driver, I'd say get the Behringer, they're ridiculously cheap for what they are.

The best unit I've used was the Sansamp RBI but I've never used the Darkglass stuff so for all I know that could be better.

One of best friends in bass distortion is DI EQ before distortion. I love way sound cleans out after removing 400-500hz frequencies. It's easy to hear which Hz it is and sometimes I'm removing even -12db.

I've actually been having a good time with Ignite Amps' The Anvil plugin for this task. Do the old three-bass-tracks, Pick / Mids / Lows, distortion on the mids... gets a nice grind.

I've actually been having a good time with Ignite Amps' The Anvil plugin for this task. Do the old three-bass-tracks, Pick / Mids / Lows, distortion on the mids... gets a nice grind.

Any more info about this?
How is this pick track?
Clean di or Clean amp+cab?
Which Hp/lp filters?
Cheers!

also might want to check out the MXR M85 Bass Distortion. watch a couple videos on youtube. this thing sounds rediculous.

Guitar amps usually create the best/most usable bass distortion in the real world, so if you have any around you can always try to run your bass tracks through them. Just make sure to turn down the 'bass' knob on the amp a lot!

Guitar amps usually create the best/most usable bass distortion in the real world, so if you have any around you can always try to run your bass tracks through them. Just make sure to turn down the 'bass' knob on the amp a lot!

I remember a picture that you posted a while back of the things you were using for bass distortion. There where some guitar amps in the picture and maybe B7K. I've tried searching for that post, but couldn't find it. Do you still have that picture?

After you posted that picture, I tried out a Dual Rec for bass distortion and it worked like a charm.

Great tips as always, Ermz!