Clean Pedal Based Guitar Preamps?

if6was9

Ireland
Jun 13, 2007
lreland
I've recently being down the route of pedal based preamps for my live guitar rig. I've got some rack pres too but the convenience of the pedal housed units is great and it makes switching from unit to unit a breeze. Some of them sound fantastic too!

There seems to be tons of distortion preamps by a good few companies but I'm finding it hard to find decent clean preamps- they all seem to break up easily and what I want is a pretty, pristine clean in a unit that can get it's level up to match the distortion units volume.

Any recommendations?

Or get someone to build something for you :p that way you can have exactly what you want. Fender clean and recto dirty? No problem. JUST clean? No problem.

Or get someone to build something for you :p that way you can have exactly what you want. Fender clean and recto dirty? No problem. JUST clean? No problem.

I have the dirty sound sorted already, just looking for something to do the clean as the clean I've been using is just the pedals bypassed and the guitars output going straight into the poweramp. Doesn't sound great and it's pretty quiet. I've also used a sansamp for cleans but I use it for bass live so can't use it for gigs.

That Russian unit looks cool, where can you buy it or find out it's cost?

I guess what I was really saying is I'd be willing to build you what you want if you'd like.

But no I have no idea about the russian unit. The russians seem to like pedal format preamps though.. AMT electronics for example.

Yes, preamps in pedal format is pretty popular in Russia, there is even ENGL e530 clone in pedal format (full tube, of course) :)
Most units are not known outside, unlike AMT or, maybe, Yerasov (as manufacturer of Fame Bulldozer).

I've got one of the AMT pedals and I really like it, I'll probably get another one whenever I do another thomann order too as they're pretty cheap and sound great.
Joyo do some clones of the tech 21 stuff but again they're all dirty and from the clips it looks like they break up at an early stage when you try run them clean.