Best guitar Wah pedal for the studio?

REDBOX04

Obsessed with Gear
Jan 16, 2008
in my mind
Hey guys

Been playing guitar for about 7 years and surprisingly never really used a wah pedal so I'm kinda in the dark. I plan on taking a trip to guitar center soon, soooo....

Just curious as to what you guys think the best Guitar wah pedal is. Specificially a wah pedal that performs well in recordings.

I'm looking for specific things in a wah pedal, and I was hoping you guys could direct me to one that fits the following criteria...

Heres what I would like out of the pedal:
- Good for recording (basically just a nice clean tone that doesn't color up my guitar tone too much, no excess fiz/hum/noise, maybe a true bypass feature)

- Good for heavy metal/low tunings

- Good for atmospheric/clean guitar (I heard some pedals are terrible for clean guitar due to a huge gain boost built into the pedal)

- Basically just an overall great pedal. Something that is relatively versatile and just has a clean tone that doesn't ruin the sound of my current guitar setup.

I've been looking at the Morley Bad Horsie and Bad Horsie 2. Devin Townsend and Steve Vai use those, and I love the wah sounds they achieve, but I want what is right for me not for them.

Also considering the Tremonti wah and the Crybaby 535q.

Ahhhhh, soooo confused! haha

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks guys!

i have never really used many wah pedals when playing but i think im definatly going to get my self a jim dunlop crybaby for the studio

Try them all, but I always use a crybaby.... certainly one to avoid is the Ibanez weeping deamon, I haet that thing.

Joe

The Tremonti Wah has a boost so it's outta your requirements.

The Bad Horsie was really good for clean sounds, but it seems I like the boost on distorted sounds, the curve seemed less peaky than the other I tried.

The one I tried and loved it was the Wylde Wah, but keep in mind it's not really subtle.

I've got a Vox, and I can tell you it exactly fits the description of things you don't want :p

I love the sound, but it's actually horrible - the hinge of the pedal is too far forward, the usable sweep is tiny, it sucks all the bass out of your signal when it's off and the switch is so chunky it's a nightmare to turn the damn thing on/off without looking like a complete fuckwit.

Steve

I have a Dimebag CFH Dunlop Wah and a Morley Bad Horsie 2. I like both, but the Dimebag wah wins out in terms of tonal variety. Tons of different modes, and it has a switchable gain boost, so you can be clean or dirty with it.

I like my morley dragon.

I suggest to try a bad horsie.

Cry babies are also cool, but i chose a morley becouse they are better to use live

dunlop 95Q

switchable gain boost, plus controls for the wah level and Q

one of the sweet things about it is that it can double as a volume pedal as well if you turn the wah knob all the way down and push in the gain boost switch...handy as fuck on leads

I've got a Vox, and I can tell you it exactly fits the description of things you don't want :p

I love the sound, but it's actually horrible - the hinge of the pedal is too far forward, the usable sweep is tiny, it sucks all the bass out of your signal when it's off and the switch is so chunky it's a nightmare to turn the damn thing on/off without looking like a complete fuckwit.

Steve

+1 I bought one because of Mike Amott using one previous to moving to Dunlop (and I love his wah use), also heard a lot of good things about it, but yeah, it's a bitch to turn on and off, and since it doesn't have a true bypass, it sucks tone like a cum deprived whore. Very tempted to look at modding mine.

Thanks for all the responses! Will deffinately be adding the Dimebag CFH Dunlop Wah to my list to check out.
Anymore opinions are welcome! :)

You should go to Metallica's rehearsal space, break in undetected and steal Kirk's wah. The world will thank you. I'm still working on a time machine to go back and completely eradicate all of the wah solos out of Metallica's albums.

Yeah, but if you did that, there would hardly be any Metallica solos left.

Morley Bad Horsies 2 RULE, except they're switchless - meaning it automatically disengages the wah function about a second after releasing the pedal - meaning you have an extra second of wah that you probably don't want haha...

What do you guys think about the wah sounds from the Line 6 POD?

I have a POD XT Pro with all the model packs, and theres a wah in there that I havent been able to use due to no external line 6 pedal. Is that wah any good?