Guitarists, what wah are you using?

Dunlop Dimebag CFH wah. Best sounding wah I've tried (and I've tried a lot of them, from Dunlop to Roland to Vox to Snarling Dogs, etc.) The downside is, the switch on it feels very gummy (even though it's clean) and it's hard to tell when it's on during a gig if you can't hear yourself, because the light is perfectly obscured by my Boss BCB-60 pedalboard (and I'd imagine it would be similar with many pedalboard cases.)

I also have a Morley Bad Horsie 2, which sounds great and has optical switching, which is awesome, but it won't fit in my pedal case and it's more cumbersome. If I was gigging more, I would probably go with something like the TC G System and rackmount all my pedals. But one of my requirements for my rig is that it fit in my 2-door Honda Civic, so a proper ATA rack case would be out of the question.

Back to wah - live and in studio, the Dimebag wah destroys all others. You can get some very expressive, subtle, tasteful sounds out of it, or you can go totally crazy, and everything in between. Very versatile.

I personally love my Budda Bud-Wah.

It's got all the funk, all the junk, without any of the skunk.

Even works for 7-string rhythm wah effects for metal stuff. But it can still make asses shake when rockin' the funk!

I have a bad horsie 2. It has a boost and adjustable frequency range, but I leave them off and just use the default tone. Sounds great as is imo.

I was seriously thinking about making a thread like this about a week ago when I was listening to this:

This song, to me, is one of the most expressive applications of the wah pedal I've ever heard. Simply amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
CFH for me. I think its just as flexible as a 535Q I use to own but in a cool casing. And that it has a in AND a out on one side that I found was handy as shit for me. The boost is also handy. But you really can't go wrong with any of the wahs that the other guys are mentioning. It's a personal thing really. Best thing to do is just try out as many as you can, and find one thats comfortable for you and suits your needs. Cause you may not need a boost etc etc...

Cause you may not need a boost etc etc...

dunno if anyone else does this, but i'll sometimes turn down the wah control on my 95Q all the way which makes it double as a simple volume pedal as well

totally slays for leads!

How are you guys using a wah with a wireless rack setup? I don't want to have a 30 foot cable to and from the wah to just eat up signaL