favorite wah

Shull

New Metal Member
Jun 21, 2013
Huntsville, AL
Couldn't find a recent thread about wah pedals, which tells me most people around here don't like them. But I really dig that half-cocked Dimebag sound every now and then, and also think a wide-ranged wah can sound cool if tastefully used (like the solo from Collective Soul's "Heavy"). I also like how Petrucci uses it in some of his melodic leads.

Anyways, I've played around with the wah on my old Boss GT-6 and it just doesn't have the range or quality I want (sounds digital/modulated as I sweep). I also fiddled with a standard Crybaby and Zakk Wylde wah at my local shop. But they weren't quite what I was looking for. The Crybaby didn't have the wide range, and the ZW wah was too harsh/overbearing. I'm still gonna try a bunch more. Anyone have one to recommend for modern/high gain use?

All the dunlops have a too small range for my taste (not talking about the frequency sweep, but the actual range of pedal motion...i like to use wahs mainly in the lower third of the way for liquid lead tones, and with a short pedal range that's too difficult to handle when standing up half drunk on stage:) )
That's why I'm loving the tremonti wah...also that auto sensing switch it nice.
I love the vocal sound of vox wahs, but again, the pedal range is too short for live use for my taste

I had an old 70's Morely Power Wah Boost a long time ago and it was killer except you needed to plug it into an outlet.
My main wah for like 10 years has been an old beat up Crybaby, you have to unscrew the whole damn thing to replace the battery. I've tinkered with it and it's always worked good for me, but i would like more range on it.
Just got a Crybaby From Hell for super cheap and it has a ton of options but I have yet to really use it and tweak it. Feels solid though.

I have a Morley PWA (I think it's the most basic one) and it sounds ok but a bit too clean for my taste and I don't like the way the frequencies are scaled (but apparently that's easy to mod).
I use to have a Crybaby and I liked how dirty it sounded. Not sure why I ended up selling it.
Had a Behringer hellbabe for a while. Not horrible but the range was way too small and it felt cheap (that goes without saying).

I have a vox v847. I like it a lot for the "throaty" sounds like Schenker is known for.

That's why I'm loving the tremonti wah...

I'm using a Tremonti wah as well and like Lasse have a soft spot for my Vox V847 I bought back in 2004 or 05. The Morley Tremonti Power Wah gets more use since I bought it 3 years ago, but I still keep the Vox close by.

All the dunlops have a too small range for my taste (not talking about the frequency sweep, but the actual range of pedal motion...

Good point. The Dunlops I tried were a bit tight with the full pedal motion. And I did not realize how the Morley optical sensor works. That is a big plus in my book!

Thanks for the suggestions, fellas! I'll check em out.

I don't have a ton of experience with wahs, but my 95Q Crybaby is the wasp's nipples - adjustable range, adjustable boost, spring-loaded pedal with auto-on/off as soon as you move it... yum.

(Note: If you look into one, some people complain about the time lag between taking your foot off and the wah turning off. There's a little knob inside the pedal to adjust it, but for some reason they don't mention it in the manual)

I've had a George Dennis Wah-Vol Switch for about 20 years now. I've had all sorts as well, Vox, Jen, Morley, Dunlop as well, but they've all gone and the George Dennis is still here.
Put it on the low setting and watch the world vibrate around you :)

I really like the Dime Crybaby From Hell.

It isn't really a plug in and play wah as you can make it sound bad if you dial it in wrong. But I've found I can get pretty much every wah sound I've wanted by dialing it in. It doesn't have a very long sweep but you can adjust the tension of the action which helps a lot.

The paint job arguably looks a bit OTT but the skateboard grip is a great idea, I much prefer it to the usual rubber. The built in boost can be pretty useful too if you want to use it for solos.

+1 on the crybaby from hell

best wah ive ever used and can get pretty much any sound you can think of. it is also very easy to switch on/off compared to other crybabys (crybabies?) i have used which was always one of my knocks on dunlop wahs.

I own and really like the Crybaby From Hell, really versatile. I also like the Jerry Cantrell crybaby. I'm not really fan of the Bad Horsie, to be honest the only morley wah I liked was the Tremonti one