Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
those are the three wah pedals I'm gaving here right now

here's a comparison:

Crybaby Standard

Morley Classic

Vox v847a

my verdict:

the Morley has a nice warm tone and a wide pedal range, but much of that range doesn't actually change the tone too much (feels kinda logarithmic, in the lower regions the change is much stronger than it is the top half of the way), the sweep is pretty narrow. Because of the seperate switch a PITA to use live.

The Crybaby has that classic tone but is too sharp sounding for my liking, the pedal range is smaller than on the Morley, most of the tonal change is happening somewhjere in the middle on a very limited range, difficult to control (almost feels like a switch)

The Vox has a warmer tone again, which I like, the pedal range is extremely short which again makes it difficult to control, but at least the tonal changes are spread more evenly over that range.
I think I like this one best, but the very tiny range makes it difficult to operate is standing up in a live situation, cause the way/range of the pedal feels like it's really just milimeters. if this tone would be spread over the same way/pedalrange as the morely ha it'd be the perfect wah

I's´d have wished for a bigger ratio (range of the pedal : tonal change) for the crybaby and the vox and for a more even sweep on the morley and crybaby

please dont judge the playing, it's total garbage, also am I not used to either one of the pedals atm, so it was difficult for me to control the sweep, but perhaps these clips will give you an idea nonetheless.

I'll keep the old crybaby around in case a funk band comes to the studio
I like the Morley but not as much as the Vox, so it'll have to go
the vox is what I'll be keeping...but it still doesn't kick my ass.....but that might change after I learned how to use it

You're always saying something like "playing is garbage". You actually said it so often that I thought you're not a good guitarplayer. Then we met in NMS. Haha. Holy shit. Fuck You. :D

On topic: Morley sounds like it should and I think it's the best sounding out of the three.

You're always saying something like "playing is garbage". You actually said it so often that I thought you're not a good guitarplayer. Then we met in NMS. Haha. Holy shit. Fuck You. :D

+1, Lasse is humble like a bag of chips. Think they are nothing special but in reality they are nomnomnom.

And I personally have the Vox V847-A and I have tried like 6 other wah's and I came to conclusion that this wah is so noisy as fuck (with both battery and wall wart) that it's not even funny.

I like all 3, but the Crybaby sounds a little fuzzy which gives that old school feeling, which might be cool for some stuff and uncool for some other. I'm a Morley guy (Bad Horsie 2 user), but the Vox clip sounds cool also.

The Vox has a warmer tone again, which I like, the pedal range is extremely short which again makes it difficult to control, but at least the tonal changes are spread more evenly over that range.
I think I like this one best, but the very tiny range makes it difficult to operate is standing up in a live situation, cause the way/range of the pedal feels like it's really just milimeters. if this tone would be spread over the same way/pedalrange as the morely ha it'd be the perfect wah

I just checked and the all the way up is 2khz center point and all the way down is 500hz center point

I think I like the Morley the best, but I also like the Vox. You should give the Wylde Wah a go. Its my fav by far. The sweep is huge and it feels great, especially on big huge bends bc it gets that awesome smack sound.

I've tried the Zakk Wylde the other day, I reall like the voicing of it!
But I've got the same problem as with the regular crybbaby and Vox: the pedal range is too short.
ahjteam: when I said "small range" in the above posts I meant the way the pedal moves from the lowest to the highest position which on the dunlops and Vox is way too short for my liking, that makes is very difficult to control the wah"bump" within the lower regions, especially when standing up and being adrenalized in a live situation.

I'm digging the morley's sound but the on/off switch next to the pedal is a total dealbreaker for live use.
The tremonti has all the features I need (on paper), but the description says "extra high boost compared to the standard wah" which again sounds to me like it won't give me the vocal quality I'm looking for (haven't tried it yet)
I like the Vox sound but need the Morley pedal range. I'd prefer an automatic touch sensitive on/off

I own the Morley Dragon 2 wah, and i absolutely love it.
No switches or anything, when you start moving the pedal it activates, and when you lift your foot it springs back and turns of.
If you want that half-way sound like Knopfler, you have a knob to set the frequency and a switch to lock it in that mode.

BUT the positive things aside, it needs a special adapter or else it will hum, buzz and distort like crazy.. and it also have the slightly awkward sweep, but i got somewhat used to it after a while(And i barely ever use the wah anyways.).

I've been playing around more today and have decided:

I'm loving the sound of the Vox, and the short pedal range and on/off switch are fine in the studio, so I'll keep the Vox for studio use.
for live I'll get a Morley Tremonti, it's got the automatic switching and the wider range I need for live.
it doesn't sound as vocal and warm as the Vox, but for those two solos I'm using it on in a live situation I choose usability over sound.

sorry for being late in this thread.. totally forgot about it.
Anyways, i opened up a Morley at work.. and i have to say that they do seem very easy to mod.
The components are fairly far apart, and they are marked well.. so if you want a more vocal and warmer sound i guess its possible(To some extent at least.).