Wah Pedals

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
I have the Morley classic and a cry baby...
my crybaby is extremely old and not fun to use, it sounds a bit too harsh for my taste and some parts are a bit whacky, switch worn out etc..
the Morley sounds alright but has a very small range IMO...well, actually the tonal range is big, but it's difficult to control cause it's spread over just a very small section of the way of the pedal.
Also does it steal quite a bit of tone in bypass as well.

currently I'm really drooling over the wah solo sounds on the latest Arch Enemy and In Flames...
I know Amott is using a rackmount on stage, does anyone know what he's using in the studio, or what's been used on sounds of a playground fading?

I was thinking VOX V847A maybe?

I like the thing that some Morleys have where you take your foot off the pedal and it turns off, wouldn't hate having that, but tone is more important.
Tips?

Hey Lasse,
I don't know for sure that he still is using it, but if memory serves, Amott was using the VOX V847 in the studio...

The Vox is a little less harsh/more subtle than the Crybaby. (Some guys like the Vox for recording and the Crybaby for live use for this reason.)

You could also update your Dunlop Crybaby Wah with a circuit board kit. I thought about building one of these:
http://www.buildyourownclone.com/wah.html
(Not sure if he ships to Germany...)

Really enjoyed the Jerry Cantrell wah a friend of mine owns, used to own the Zakk Wylde wah, digged it alot,
but I almost never used it and I needed the cash.

A bit off topic but I really liked the Ibanez Weeping Demon wah I used to have. Nice and flexible wah that can work either using a switch or automatically when you move the pedal. Adjustable Q and range. I seriously recommend checking one out.

The only Wha worth a damn in my opinion is the Dime Crybaby From Hell its so Versatile with all the options and sweep controls its CRAZY. I am able to dial in the EXACT wha tone I want. Best $200 I ever spent. I have tried every Wha Dunlop and Morely have to offer.

Zakk Wha
Cantrell Wha
Hammet....
535Q
Slash
Classic
Hendrix
Buddy Guy

The Dime is the only one I could get to sound exactly like I wanted.

what about the rocktron tri-wah ?
michael amott use this on "rise of the tyrants"
i got it and it´s sound really nice and close to the album.

on the new record he use the prototype of his homebrew electronics signature wah.
ammott1.jpg

From Wikipedia on Michael Amott's Gear: List http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Amott

VOX V847 wah-wah pedal (no longer used)
Dunlop Zakk Wylde wah-wah pedal (no longer used)
Ibanez TS-808 Tube Screamer
MXR – Phase 90
Seymour Duncan SFX-01 Pickup Booster
Ibanez – AD-9 Analog Delay
BOSS "TU-2" Chromatic Tuner
Dunlop DCR 2SR Rack Cry Baby Custom Shop 19" Rack mounted custom Wah with three remotes on stage
Rocktron Hush Super C (Rack mounted Noise Gate)
Rocktron Black Cat Moan Wah pedal (used during recording of Rise Of The Tyrant and live shows)
Digitech GSP1101 (Multi effects processor)
Providence PEC-2 Routing System
Providence DELAY-80's Delay
Shure ULXP4 Wireless Unit
ZOOM G9.2tt (Used on demo's for "Rise Of The Tyrant" album 2006-2007)
Homebrew Electronics Signature Wah

Mighty wah gods please tell me what wah Gregor Mackintosh of Paradise Lost used and abused on Icon/Draconian Times please?

I've been looking at that George Lynch weeping demon by morley but I hate the way it looks and hate signature gear in general...

If you like the auto-on thing the Silvermachine is killer, tweakable and sounds fucking awesome. I've had the Crybaby rack and the SM is just as good. I just used the wah / whammy etc. in the Axe-FX live but I still kept that pedal.

after talking to some people about AE recordings I think I'll be going with the Vox....
don't wanna shell out 250€ or something for a Wah, and the Vox is reasonably priced

can´t find the website anymore, about the info that he uses the prototype :confused:
the vox is pretty nice !

japan guitarrist syu use it on this vid. sounds (for me) a little like doomsday solos!

wah starts at 3:08

Last edited by a moderator:
I modded the shit out of my Vox when I had it a few years ago and it improved a lot. It sounded MUCH better than the stock one (range, voicing, etc), way better than the Crybaby, which i find muffled, and miles better than the Morley. I think you will like the vox.