Wah Pedals

Mendel

Lag Arkane
Jun 11, 2005
The Netherlands
www.mendelb.com
Im so frustrated by 1 thing.
Everytime i use a wah it almost sounds like it doesnt even work when shredding on the high notes. And on some records i can hear wah pedals work fully even on really high notes. What am i doing wrong ? im like this : guitar -> wah -> amp. what am i doing wrong, how can i get that really full wah tone when even shredding on the high notes.

thx

What I did was the following:
As I was using a tubescreamer, I placed it intentionally before the wah, the effect seemed a lot deeper, my wah was a Dunlop Jimi hendrix wah.
For some years now, I'm fond of my George Dennis wah, reliable and aggresive curve.

Placement is very important - wah before distortion is muted and hard to notice, wah after distortion is wide and throaty. If you have an FX loop put the wah pedal in there, if not learn a thing or two about circuitry so you can put in a loop between your preamp and power amp yourself (really not that hard, you just have to know a thing or two about electronic circuits) and put the wah in that. A Vox probably won't help if your sound is muted because you'll just be putting it in the same awkward place.

If it is the Crybaby I'm thinking of, you can also adjust the potentiometer (which controls the sweep of the wah, it's basically an adjustable resistor that tells the rest of the circuit how trebly and sharp the sound should be when you play around with it), just spend some time with Google looking for easy Crybaby mods and you should find something. If not, PM me and we'll see if we can do it with texts and pictures.

Jeff

The voicing of the wah makes a huge difference. Some wah's are subtle and sound great for clean funk tones but don't do much for gain soloing. The best wah that I'd ever had was my Dunlop DCR-1SR rack wah. It not only sounded amazing but was so flexable with the 5 position sweep selector and the 4 band eq. After playing through over a dozen top shelf wah's I got the rack unit.