any good wah pedals in plugins?

updog

May 9, 2009
Finland
nothing seems to be doing it. just doesn't fucking sound like a powerful enough wah.

i've tried wahs in TH1, Amplitube Fender and the regular PodFarm, even the Logic's own wahs, but i can't seem to get a convincing metal lead wah sound.

any recommendations? or better yet, tips? it could very well be that i'm just not getting the chain right. i've tried having the wah before a TS and after it as well, doesn't seem to sound too different either way. should i use some sort of extra processing to make it sound more realistic?

to sum up; the problem is that the wahs don't seem to be doing ENOUGH. i can hear they're there, but in the mix it barely sounds like anything's happening.

I'm surprised you couldn't get anything to sound ok with TH1. Which midi pedal are you using to control the wah?
I have had good results with the FCB1010.

actually, i'm just automating the wah, don't have a midi pedal handy... so this isn't something caused by a piece of gear.

i know, programming the wah probably doesn't sound the best way to make it sound realistic but my problem seems to be that I can't really hear the wah in the leads or anything. the effect is very light no matter what i'm using.

can't you just run the signal out, into a "reamp" box, into an actual wah that you can then control manually and back into another input?

I've done that several times before for putting wah or flange effects on guitars/bass/vox etc ...

don't know if you even have any type of reamp box or even an actual wah pedal but I figured I'd throw it out there cause in my experience absolutely no wah plugin sounds as good as the real deal

and in case I didn't write it enough times ....

WAH

i don't have a reamp box, but i did think about running the signal through a wah pedal... i wonder if that'd work by simply using the wah pedal as an external effects processor with my saffire pro

i'm really surprised though if this is the best wah ampsims can do... i'm not really looking for anything amazing, just a lead with a rock wah. i'm looking for the kind of stuff within the ruins use on their leads, just a little something to make the leads a bit more interesting.

i don't have a reamp box, but i did think about running the signal through a wah pedal... i wonder if that'd work by simply using the wah pedal as an external effects processor with my saffire pro.

Yep, should work. I haven't used it but Coyote Wah is pretty popular, you could try that.

I have used the Coyote Wah with automation before and thought it sounded pretty cool. I used it when I wanted to wah the last couple notes of some lead guitar that was improvised on the fly.

I attempted to rerecord the part with a real wah, but could not get another
take that sounded as fresh as the first one.

Coyote is free also. Just google it and give it a try.

When you have drawn all the automation for the Wah, insert another wah after it in the efferct chain ( in series, not parallel ), and copy the automation across. this will effectively double the amount of effect.

I quite liked the Logic Wah, but i agree it tend to be a little on the subtle side.

Are you using a di signal? this is the best way to run a wah. it should be first in line. before anything. Completely dry.

thanks for the help, everyone.

i've tried pretty much everything except for the actual wah pedal, and using two instances of a wah. the latter being what i'm going to try next. and if nothing else works, i'm going to borrow a wah from someone and see if even that works for the tracks.

do you guys get good wah tones using ampsims? what i'm getting just doesn't sound like a wah as i know it, at all. just sounds lame.

could my tracks just not be good enough for the wah effect to work properly? the leads were tracked using an ibanez rg550 with bareknuckle pups, into my saffire's instruments inputs.

Carlos' idea with the real wah is the best one imo

I don't have a real wah at hand, so I always use Amplitube 3 and automation
used it here for this cover
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3961577/Mixes/Wahwahwahwah.mp3

reamped by greg with his fortin natas btw
I think it works quite good, but I guess because its not really a solo but more of a lead line during the last refrain

do you run it into real amps or ampsims? wah sim into ampsim hasn't really worked for me so far

Carlos' idea with the real wah is the best one imo

I don't have a real wah at hand, so I always use Amplitube 3 and automation
used it here for this cover
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3961577/Mixes/Wahwahwahwah.mp3

reamped by greg with his fortin natas btw
I think it works quite good, but I guess because its not really a solo but more of a lead line during the last refrain

do you run it into real amps or ampsims? wah sim into ampsim hasn't really worked for me so far

thanks marco, that sounds great - pretty much what i'm going for, ie. wah "as i know it" haha

sadly the tracks aren't reamped, just a di signal fed into overloud th-1 as are my rhythm guitar tracks. if it looks like nothing else works, i might have to consider reamping. or even if it works i could try it, could be awesome.