Lets talk distortion pedals!

Hey,

What distortion pedals are people fans of? I'm talking pedals you'd use into a clean channel to get thick lush walls of distortion.

I have a Fulltone OCD, but somehow it doesn't seem to be crushing enough. Looking for recommendations for that Cult of Luna type of sound.

To be exact.. the COL bass sound is a Golmer the blues pedal... pretty impossible to find haha only 80 made orso...

You can come preeeettyy damn close using a Sunn Beta Lead on a 4x10 amp with a good P-Bass Though...

All the DigiTech pedals I've had are exactly like that - very digital sounding (which actually sounded really cool on the HyperPhase), and batteries barely last a gig.

I've got a Zoom Tri-Metal which is actually not too bad - more gain than anything else I've ever heard (at 12 o'clock it's like a dime'd Triple X) and madly touchy dials (the 'range' knob does basically nothing bar for one tiny section), but every note stays clear even with the gain up, and in front of a decent amp it sounds immense.

Steve
Hmm, I haven't noticed touchy dials like you have.

But yeah, the Tri-Metal is absolutely huge.

Catalinbread Supercharged Overdrive! That thing is ridiculous! Sustain for days. Perfect stoner-rock, doom sound. Anyone interested should really check it out. I loved that thing.

-Joe

Supercollider pedal going into a Sansamp BDDI sounds really crushing/sustain-heaven in a chain together. The mid knob on the Supercollider makes up for the lack of a mid knob on the Sansamp (unless you have the Paradriver model, I believe!).

JB,

Did you notice that the Catalinbread hisses like crazy? I thought maybe mine was bad or whatnot, but it hissed a good amount with my old JCM 800!

-Joe

I like dirt pedals, but then again, I mainly play post-rock and the amp I use in that stuff is a Jazz Chorus, and the distortion on it is... :puke: I'm currently using a Fulltone OCD clone (v4) as my overdrive and an EHX Little Big Muff w/ Tone Wicker for the crazy parts. I really like the OCD too, makes my JC sound almost like a cranked Marshall. I'm going to be building a TS808 in the future too.

I don't think there's any point in comparing amp OD channels to dirt pedals, they're so different and for different purposes too. I personally wouldn't (and don't) have a problem in having a single channel head and taking my distortion from pedals in anything but metal.

a emg 81, ts7 blended with the od on any amp will get me in the ball park of what im looking for. Ive got a nice djenty, not too gainy tone going with a peavey rage! I always use od channel with a ts. waaaaayy better sounding than any distortion pedal. period.

hell, sometimes i dont even need the ts. gain is for wussys. hit the strings harder. tone is in your hands.

JB,

Did you notice that the Catalinbread hisses like crazy? I thought maybe mine was bad or whatnot, but it hissed a good amount with my old JCM 800!

-Joe

Jup! They all/most of them do actually... most of them allready have somewhat of a hiss and even a slight boost will give you shitloads more haha
Pair that with old ass amps (soundcity, sunn hahahaha) and your done!

Drew - How much are you looking to spend? What about a cheap multi FX processor that has a built in distortion, or maybe even a POD? I have a Boss GT-8 that I used to use for low volume practicing, and it kicks serious ass. My friend has the GT-10 and it's even better - has all the built in goodies like noise reduction, modulation, etc. If you're looking for portable, that might be another way to go....

Although, that might be too much loot for what you're looking for - thought I'd mention anyway. :D

Cheers!

I've got a big ass pedalboard to use Chris, so I don't really want to use a multi-fx coz of that. I got two Malekko analog delays, a Line 6 DL-4, a Boss RV-5, a Boss BF-3, EQ, Budda Wah, and a tuner. I just wanna add a distortion pedal perhaps.