Distressor users --> Share your settings!

Distressors are so cool. I haven't had a single complaint about mine.
And i use it regularly. On vocals it does a great job, like Ermz said; i prefer not
to squash/push them right from the source, getting overall 3db gr and 10 db on loudest parts.

I use it for kick drum and snare in opto mode, and room mic processing depending on the song.
Also on bass if a plugin does not make it. Also been using it in 1:1 link circuit on, dist3 touching the
Redline with a Neve pre before it for crunchy guitars. It does a great job imho.
It even adds a good bit of life to my good ol' POD Xt for scratch tracking, writing songs etc.
The HP button is just fantastic, gotta love it hahaha

Expensive little guy, but i have no regrets or un-useful results with it!

Sometimes i wish i had another good comp with flavor and character, but they're too expensive!!
At least for me :(

After I print things I've been using em for parallel drum comp

Do you own a pair of these?
How do you manage to do so?
I've tried printing a parallel comp for kick and snares
but i feel theres a bit of a phase issue going on;
minimal, but it is there! It's not that awful
but i'll end up just setting a aux with a CLA1176 instead :/

Only just got mine, but I'm enjoying Dist 3 mode for metal vocals a shit ton. Attack between 2-3, release about the same and usually about 10-14db reduction. Dessing and EQ on the way in just to clean it up a bit too :)
LOVING it on bass might I add. Can't remember what settings I had on the bass I did earlier but Dist 2 mode works best for me! :)

Do you own a pair of these?
How do you manage to do so?
I've tried printing a parallel comp for kick and snares
but i feel theres a bit of a phase issue going on;
minimal, but it is there! It's not that awful
but i'll end up just setting a aux with a CLA1176 instead :/

Yeh they live on parallel shells. I calculated the round trip latency with a sine sweep and just enter that into my delay compensation. 57 samples here.

Taken from: Slipperman's Recording Distorted Guitars Thread From Hell

I'm going to be compressing the living shit outta your ass one way or the other.
A lot of guitar purists state... 'NEVER COMPRESS DISTORTED GUITAR' on input or mix. The wisdom is based on observations (and their logical extrapolations) of the phenomena we just got done discussing. That is... Heavily distorted guitar sounds ALREADY ARE COMPRESSED (for lack of a better term) by 'square wave rectification' of the signal in circuit that's being used to produce the 'dirty' sound in the first place. By and large, I agree. If I can get away with clever EQ rips to 'tame' a guitar 'To tape' or 'In mix' I will always do that first. However, we live in a big shitty world full of fukwit fools who will insist upon capturing OUTRAGEOUS amounts of 'Swing' from a rig.....So I say... SMASH THE FUCK OUT OF THEM. But BE CAREFUL; if you don't set up compression correctly on input, you stand to shovel yourself into a hole you will NEVER get out of for love or money. Lousy compression CANNOT be undone after the fact. Period.

One of the best compressors in the world for smashing Nu-Metal gtrs is the Empirical Labs EL-8 'Distressor'.
Here's why: The distressor has a bunch of fun little knobs and buttons on it that can keep you from digging yourself a big grave while you gain control of a wayward signal. It is also VERY precise in terms of how the knobs on the front face OPERATE.

what about guitar compression?
and how does it works on bass guitar?

What about for clean vocals? The settings most of you run tend to give me distortion with cleaner stuff. I usually run around 3:1, about 10dB GR on the loud parts, around 2.5 attack and release, with hp on detector and audio.

Generally speaking with the distressor you will have less harmonic distortion with the distortion modes off obviously, no link engaged and less distortion as the ratios go up, attack is quicker, release is slower.

At any setting if you open up the attack and make the release quick you'll be getting more distortion from the circuit, especially at lower ratios, and especially if you engage the link button.

Hope this helps.

For clean vocals its nice to use 2 distressors this way:
1st - attack at MAX, release 1-2,5, ratio 10:1, GR -5db. Clean mode, with HP
2nd - attack 1-,2,5, release 1-3, ratio 4:1, GR catching peaks. Dist 2

I got my first hardware comp (Distressor x) coming in so I'm pumped! So he's kind of new question for me. I understand how to track with it but its the mixing part I'm not 100% sure. Exp do I print into a session or use it as plugin/insert, if doing it that way will that cause latency issues?? What is the best approach thanks guys!

Taken from: Slipperman's Recording Distorted Guitars Thread From Hell

what about guitar compression?
and how does it works on bass guitar?

Guys! Help me to find that - Slipperman's Recording Distorted Guitars thread! Im an asshole for sure but i can't find it!)
And realy what about guitar compression with distressor?

Here's some Machine Head settings off the new album...

Screenshot2014-10-02223151_zps9bfba460.png

For clean vocals its nice to use 2 distressors this way:
1st - attack at MAX, release 1-2,5, ratio 10:1, GR -5db. Clean mode, with HP
2nd - attack 1-,2,5, release 1-3, ratio 4:1, GR catching peaks. Dist 2

Well, now and then I still use these settings. But I found that one distressor at 6:1 or 4:1 attack 2,5 and release to taste (imagine this button as "agrresiveness" suits better some vocals, specially metal vocals