Disturbed/Avenged Sevenfold Concert

johnfrank1970

Jan 10, 2002
Madison, WI
welcome.to
Last night, I went to my first arena show since Metallica's horrible Black Album tour performance in 1991 or 1992 in Madison, Wisconsin. Disturbed's last three albums have ranked very highly for me in their release years, and I thought it was about time I saw them live. I was also curious about revisiting the arena concert experience, as I have many fond memories of shows from when I was a teenager and college student.

This silly tour package (ROCKSTAR ENERGY DRINK UPROAR FEST, FUCK YEAH, MOTHERFUCKER!!!!) started at something like 3:15 yesterday with an outdoor stage. I actually would not have minded seeing Hail the Villain, but, I mean, come on. I actually have a job and stuff. Also, there is no way I would want to sit through 8 hours of these bands.

So I arrived in the evening and looked at the merch. I decided I could stand the ridicule of my many tr00 metal brethren and asked for the coolest Disturbed shirt in XL. Sold out. Went to the other merch stand across the venue. Also sold out. I envisioned a ranting post about how bands always seem to run out of merch (especially since I was asking for an XL, and most of their teenybopper audience wears a M at best), but I came to and realized that Madison was the last stop on this tour. Fine. So I won't rant, but I am still curious - For those in the know, how is merch handled on tours? It really does seem like bands run out of shirts at every show I am at. Do they not have enough space on tour to carry more than one show's worth of merch, so they have shirts shipped to each venue? Do they intentionally underbuy to ensure they never have excess inventory? I would think you could sell excess shirts on-line, but I don't know.

To my great joy, I set foot in the arena just in time to catch all of Stone Sour's set. (I actually would not have minded seeing Halestorm. I do not like their music much, but they are not overly annoying and the chick singer is cute.) Stone Sour was a real chore. Incredibly bland, yet extremely annoying. Sorry, fucking extremely fucking annoying fucking motherfuckers in the fucking fuck fuck audience! Fuck! I have nothing against swearing as anyone (friends, slow drivers, my kids' teachers) will tell you, but this vocalist was comical in his profanity. Beavis and Butthead (take your pick) is all growns up and bald. And, of course, I hated the music as well.

I had plenty of time to survey the crowd during this time, and I was shocked that I was not the oldest dude in attendance. Of course, most of the older guys were there chaperoning their apparently-10-year-old sons, but I did see several of the same type of crusty old rockers who scared me at Ratt and Motley Crue shows back in the day. I guess once the county fair concert circuit is finished for the summer, these guys need somewhere loud to leer, smoke outside in the cold, and get shitfaced.

I was also pleased to see that I had my pick of seats in the venue. All the cool kids were on the floor smoking weed (crowd anonymity is a crazy thing - I would never have had the balls to do that), so I parked my fat, old ass down in a seat with a nice view of the stage. I do not miss the days of repeatedly redialing the Dayton's Department Store ticket line until I finally got through and held my breath while the bored ticket agent went through my seating options for Dio or Judas Priest (Turbo tour, bitches!).

Avenged Sevenfold (or as the cool kidz like me say, A7X) was up next. I have tried a few of their discs and have not been able to get into them. That said, they put on a decent live performance. Somewhat energetic, not overly annoying for the most part, the guitarists can actually play a lead or two, and the stage set up was fun in a Spooky Haunted House I Used To Go To As A Teenager sort of way. LOTS of fire. Sitting in the back of the arena and still feeling the warmth from the blasts of pyro brought back many fond memories. No lasers though. I miss lasers. Must not be cool anymore. I would not say I got into their performance, as I need to like the tunes to do that (except for very rare exceptions like Freak Kitchen), but I was not overly bored and I thought they put in a good effort.

It was interesting to see the A7X stage set tear down in prep for Disturbed. Set design is an art, man. Seeing how quickly the crew broke the set up into modules and wheeled it away was quite impressive. No Spinal Tap here.

Finally, Disturbed began their show. I was initially disappointed in their sparse stage setup, as the show seemed to consist solely of a series of video screens that spanned the entire back of the stage. The lame Draiman At The Asylum Scooby Doo Vignette that started the show did not help matters. I quickly came around though, as many of the different song-specific video montages were pretty cool. And, of course, they also had Fire, Fire, Fire! I cannot say the same for the band themselves though. Draiman sounded pretty good overall, and his banter was mercifully somewhat limited and not moronic. His movement and energy on stage, however, was not exactly inspiring. Ambling from one side of the stage to the other and pausing for a moment does not exactly make one want to jump da fuck up. The other dudes were a little better, but not to a significant degree.

Having only one guitarist always makes a live performance suffer, IMO, but my bigger issue by far was the sound. The rhythm section completely drowned out the guitar. The whole place reverberated with the drums and bass to the point of severe distortion, and I could barely discern a riff. Now, I know most of you will retort that Disturbed has no riffs to begin with, so you do not understand the problem. I would never describe Disturbed as rifftastic myself, but they do have a guitarist and he does play stuff on their albums. Unfortunately (yes, snobs, unfortunately) there was little evidence of that live.

My final bitch is the set list. I had looked it up prior to the show (listed below, but I am not sure if they even played all of these songs in Madison), but I never did the math. Disturbed, the headlining band, played for almost one hour. Fucking lame. In addition, the set list was rather lacking for my tastes. I do not care for their pre-Ten Thousand Fists material, but it is clear that their acne-ridden, mumbling fanbase does. The (two, I think!) songs from Indestructible came across the best for me, though it was also quite cool in a The Power and Glory of Metal sort of way to see all the fists raised during the Ten Thousand Fists title track. Yes, I am a cheesy old metalhead.

So until that Ratt/Coroner/Thought Industry/Mordred/Theory in Practice arena tour comes to fruition, I think I will be sticking to club shows. I will miss the pyro a little though.

Disturbed Set List (taken from a previous show): Remnants, Asylum, Another Way to Die, Liberate, Prayer, Serpentine, Stricken, Inside the Fire, Land of Confusion, Indestructible, Stupify, Down With The Sickness, Ten Thousand Fists

...why did you go? It sounds like you have really nothing positive to say about any of it other than the pyrotechnics. You hated the length, you hated the sound, you hated the bands, you hated the setup, you hated on the fans (seriously why do people do this?)...

Because of this you're sticking with club shows? I'm sorry dude, but you definitely picked the wrong arena tour to start up with again. What were you expecting? Sorry, I'm not trying to be an ass here or anything, but these types of shows are always like that. Ozzfest, Mayhem, Uproar, etc. have tons of worthless bands and almost always has the headliner/s play for only 60 minutes, MAYBE 75 minutes. I hate it too. I actually like Avenged and wanted to see them, but there just was no way I could find it in myself to go to this as it would be torture to sit through these other bands.

As far as the merch, I find what you said interesting. I hardly ever have problems finding shirts in the right size, especially for a huge tour like that. The only time I had trouble was at the final Ministry show of the farewell tour where they only had Mediums and XXL. I find it very interesting that they were out of XL as those hardly ever seem to be the size that actually runs out. I think what happened for you though is that this was the final show of this tour from what Portnoy said yesterday, so that's probably why, plus add in the fact that you showed up later.

Took my youngest to see Disturbed twice, once at the Hard Rock in Hollywood Florida, and once in Pompano Beach.

The Hard Rock show started with FlyLeaf, who tore the place up. Disturbed was good, but about what I expected. Albums better than the live show.

Then I saw the Pompano Beach show. Skindred was the opening act, then Sevendust, and both SLAYED. Disturbed came on and the sound was horribly mixed--you could hear the vocals and virtually nothing else.

My daughter is now old enough to see the shows herself, so I doubt I will be back. Was happy to discover Skindred though, will check them out the next time they come to town.

I saw Uproar a few months ago, and only like Disturbed musically. Halestorm was average, and Stone Sour annoying,

Disturbed's set seemed short to me also, but they sounded great. I've seen them twice, and both times they sounded just like they do on CD.

A7X kicked ass! I don't like their music, but they put on one of the best live shows I've ever seen. So much so I decided I needed to revisit their discography. Should have known better. Still don't like them. That doesn't detract from their performance, though. It was quite impressive.

Because of this you're sticking with club shows? I'm sorry dude, but you definitely picked the wrong arena tour to start up with again. What were you expecting? Sorry, I'm not trying to be an ass here or anything, but these types of shows are always like that. Ozzfest, Mayhem, Uproar, etc. have tons of worthless bands and almost always has the headliner/s play for only 60 minutes, MAYBE 75 minutes. I hate it too. I actually like Avenged and wanted to see them, but there just was no way I could find it in myself to go to this as it would be torture to sit through these other bands.

As far as the merch, I find what you said interesting. I hardly ever have problems finding shirts in the right size, especially for a huge tour like that. The only time I had trouble was at the final Ministry show of the farewell tour where they only had Mediums and XXL. I find it very interesting that they were out of XL as those hardly ever seem to be the size that actually runs out. I think what happened for you though is that this was the final show of this tour from what Portnoy said yesterday, so that's probably why, plus add in the fact that you showed up later.

I am not sure what other arena tour I should have picked instead. There are very few bands I like that currently play arenas. Disturbed and Shinedown are the only ones I can think of, and they seem to be on tours with loads of crap bands.

Oh, were you thinking of bands like Maiden? I saw most of the classic bands (Dio, Maiden, Priest, Ozzy, plus all the hair metal you could ever ask for) I wanted to see back in the day, and I have little desire to pay a lot of money to see them now.

Yeah, regarding shirts, I was wondering if maybe if the lack of availability is due mostly to my need for XLs. As I stated in my original post and you also mentioned, this was the last stop on the tour, so a lack of merch would make more sense in this case.

Here's more sarcasm for ya then.

You went to a shit show with shit bands.
What did you expect?

As for arena shows go, there have been PLENTY of amazing MAIDEN arena shows since you last went to one.

I am not sure what other arena tour I should have picked instead. There are very few bands I like that currently play arenas. Disturbed and Shinedown are the only ones I can think of, and they seem to be on tours with loads of crap bands.

Oh, were you thinking of bands like Maiden? I saw most of the classic bands (Dio, Maiden, Priest, Ozzy, plus all the hair metal you could ever ask for) I wanted to see back in the day, and I have little desire to pay a lot of money to see them now.

I didn't mean necessarily that there are other arena shows to go to right now, I was just saying along the lines that this show sucking shouldn't mean you should just give up on a good arena show should they happen to be booked.

As Jason said, the recent tours Maiden has put on are phenomenal. Well worth it. The Slayer/Megadeth/Testament show were in smaller arenas too and the Chicago one was quite good I thought.

This made for lovely lunchtime reading :lol:

I feel ya, man. Nothing sucks worse than sitting through a bunch of bands, for whom you have no interest, and finally getting to the headliners you want to hear, only to find the mix is horrendous and their performance is bad.

I do agree with the others that you should give Maiden a shot, despite having seen them in the past. They were firing on all cylinders when I saw them in Jersey a few years ago, and they played songs that (I think) they normally don't play at live shows. But ... I had to sit through Trivium. However, that was trivial compared to what you had to experience in your review. (This also applies to the plethora of Classic Rock bands that are touring like mad right now, though with the added bonus that the openers are usually headlining-caliber bands themselves, i.e. REO Speedwagon and .38 Special opening for Styx :D )

1) I really like Disturbed's last three CDs. 2) I have fond memories of arena shows I went to as a teenager and as a college student. Both of these tidbits were stated in my post.

And then you went on to call people who were teenagers and college students acne ridden bumbling morons who couldn't breathe right if they had to think about it. :rolleyes:

RE: Lasers. I saw Govt Mule at a medium-large place two years ago. It was a Halloween show and their costume was Pink Floyd, and they included a 90 minute Floyd set that replicated a scaled-down version of their show including recreating the laser light stuff. That may have been literally the only time I've seen lasers at any show (and at a non-stadium show), and I presume it was very labor-and-cost-intensive so they only did it once. (That was a great show all around...ticket was less than $40 to see Mule do two full-length sets of their own stuff with the 90-minute Floyd costume set in between).

And then you went on to call people who were teenagers and college students acne ridden bumbling morons who couldn't breathe right if they had to think about it. :rolleyes:

Sigh... I am the guardian of two of my nieces. One is in college, one is in high school. I joke with them in this manner, they joke with me in this manner. Neither side takes offense. Obviously, this type of humor does not work for you.