Disturbed/Avenged Sevenfold Concert

Sigh... I am the guardian of two of my nieces. One is in college, one is in high school. I joke with them in this manner, they joke with me in this manner. Neither side takes offense. Obviously, this type of humor does not work for you.

Forget trying to be funny, old man. What I want to know is what would Matt Johnsen (of Pharoah) have thought about this show. You're like friends and stuff with him (the guy from Pharoah), right?

Forget trying to be funny, old man. What I want to know is what would Matt Johnsen (of Pharoah) have thought about this show. You're like friends and stuff with him (the guy from Pharoah), right?

Matt Johnsen of Pharaoh mocks my love of Disturbed. Indeed, Matt Johnsen of Pharaoh mocks my love of all of the hair metal and hard rock I enjoy. It is my deepest shame. I try to tell Matt Johnsen of Pharaoh that I cannot completely abandon my formative years as a 14-year-old metalhead, but Matt Johnsen of Pharaoh pays no heed. And, of course, Matt Johnsen of Pharaoh should pay heed to no one for Matt Johnsen of Pharaoh is Matt Johnsen of Pharaoh!

Note that the use of pronouns is prohibited when discussing Matt Johnsen of Pharaoh.

Well, I bought 3 pit passes for my teenage kids to go to the show in Charlotte. One of them backed out at the last moment so I was “forced” to go at the last moment. Folks, I don’t go to these kind of shows too often but we all had a great time! At 45 years old, I was buried in the pit with drugged up 20 year olds, “acne faced” teens and, surprisingly enough, drunk 45 year olds (not me, I had to drive them home and $12 beers weren’t in my budget).

When you just let yourself unwind and let the kids enjoy the show, plus let yourself return the days when you were young and screaming at the stage at RUSH and SAXON and BOSTON and SCORPIONS, while looking at the young crowd surrounding you, you can just re-imagine yourself 20 or 30 years ago doing the same thing.

I had a great time because of my kids.

It brought back a lot of memories for me. Don’t knock the bands because of the music they play these days. They are just as energetic as a lot of the bands we used to go see. I opened myself up to Halestorm and Stone Sour, even though I don’t own anything by either band. They were good openers – got the crowd warmed up for the two MAIN BANDS. I enjoyed both sets, although as a parent I wish Stone Sour wouldn’t have used so many F--- words in their dialogue. They hear enough in school and the rest of the world (not from me) not to get it thrown in their face from a band onstage for really no reason. It doesn’t bother me personally but knowing there are thousands of pre-teens in the crowd it’s not really necessary IMO.

Avenged Sevenfold put on an awesome set. The stage was incredible and the guys really put their hearts into the show. They should have, IMO, been the headliners because they seem to be the up and coming band versus Disturbed. They will have their time. I swear, every kid (and adult) around me, knew every word to every song they sang. Even the ones not played on the radio. Oh, by the way, Portnoy seemed to be having the time of his life jamming with these guys.

The Disturbed set was great. Again, most of the people around me seemed to know all the words and were really into the set. A few people left in front of us so we got elbows on the barrier for their set and they really put a lot of energy into their set. I have no complaints about seeing these guys other than my camera died halfway through their set! I have some awesome photos from all sets I’ll have to upload (if anyone cares) because we were right there in the pit.

Regardless of whether you like their music or not, this was a great show. I’m biased because my kids think they (A7X and Disturbed) walk on water but actually going to the show and unwinding with the kids in a frenzied crowd was a lot of fun.

Laserz = KVLT!!!!!!!

So KVLT that Blue Oyster Cult has an umlat(SP?) in their name!

I saw a show in Rich Stadium, Buffalo NY. The Agents tour.
The lineup:
Stars
Ted Nugent
Lynard Skynard
Blue Oyster Cult!

BOC was over the top! They had these huge disco balls on the 50 yard line, and fired red lasers at them--the beams bounced everywhere, including through clouds over the stadium...Unreal cool to a 14 year old.

Doing a little reading, you find that they were using really powerful lasers too. OSHA started giving them shit because people were complaining about temporary blindness, causing them to give up the use of lasers shortly after.

I think the music of today is far superior than most of the stuff that came out of the 70's but the shows back then were just as fun. In a different way is all.

Regarding lasers: Rush normally has a good laser show, but this current tour they didn't have any. Kinda dissapointed. But the music kicked ass though! :)

Yeah, we noticed that, too. First time Rush hasn't used lasers at their shows.....well, at least back to the Signals tour. I was thinking "surely they'll bust out some lasers for Moving Pictures when they play it in its entirety" but...there were no lasers to be found. But "Camera Eye" was found, and ruled mightily. :)

Last night, I went to my first arena show since Metallica's horrible Black Album tour performance in 1991 or 1992 in Madison, Wisconsin.

Out of curiousity, which Black Album tour was that, and what was so 'horrible' about it? Was it the "snake-pit" stage tour, or a different setup?
As I recall, the "Evening with Metallica" tour with the "snake-pit" stage was well-received by almost everyone -- back then, it was a really innovative stage-design.

My suggestion would be to attend a Trans-Siberian Orchestra show if you want to see some concert eye candy! ;)

Agreed! Great arena show, lots of effects, lights, pyro and -- historically, at least -- LASERS, and at a ticket price where I'm surprised they can tour with 18 trucks' worth of stuff.

Out of curiousity, which Black Album tour was that, and what was so 'horrible' about it? Was it the "snake-pit" stage tour, or a different setup? As I recall, the "Evening with Metallica" tour with the "snake-pit" stage was well-received by almost everyone -- back then, it was a really innovative stage-design.

Yeah, the stage was unique, if I recall correctly.

Apparently, it was October 30, 1991:

http://www.metallicaworld.co.uk/images/tshirts/four_faces_rear.JPG

My blurb on this show from a Your Worst Concert Ever thread:

Metallica - Black Album tour. This cemented the band's fall from grace for me. No opening band, just a lameass self-congratulatory video about the Metallicatz in all their pompous glory. No fire in their performance. And the pièce de résistance: Hetfield saying that they would be not playing any complete tunes from Justice because they are just too darn long. I had actually played the shit out of The Black Album up to this concert. After the show, I realized I was trying much too hard, and I needed to let go.

Hmm, I don't recognize that particular shirt design, but... I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that tour; they played the Omni here two nights in a row and really kicked ass. To me, that was their "Golden Age," back when they had truly become a mega-popular, arena-big performing act, but still scheduled time after their shows to meet with the fans outside the fence waiting for autographs.

BOC was over the top! They had these huge disco balls on the 50 yard line, and fired red lasers at them--the beams bounced everywhere, including through clouds over the stadium...Unreal cool to a 14 year old.

Nice!
I think a cool tour to have seen would have been the "Black and Blue" tour with Sabbath and BOC.

Nice!
I think a cool tour to have seen would have been the "Black and Blue" tour with Sabbath and BOC.

+1

I've seen BOC (please add umlauts and season to taste; I'm lazy :)) quite a few times over the last 20 years, at venues ranging from the Omni opening for Rush, to smaller clubs, to a horse-park (!) to a chili cookoff (!) to a balloon festival at an airport (!!)....but I would have LOVED to see them back in their large-hall and (brief) arena heyday.

Oh, well. At least the chili was fairly tasty...what was left of it. :heh:

Nowadays you're a lot more likely to stumble across Eric Bloom raiding in WoW. :)

And the pièce de résistance: Hetfield saying that they would be not playing any complete tunes from Justice because they are just too darn long. I had actually played the shit out of The Black Album up to this concert. After the show, I realized I was trying much too hard, and I needed to let go.

I forgot all about that regarding the Justice songs! Good point!!! And I was in the exact same boat with the Black album.

Regardless of whether you like their music or not, this was a great show. I’m biased because my kids think they (A7X and Disturbed) walk on water but actually going to the show and unwinding with the kids in a frenzied crowd was a lot of fun.

You've undoubtedly earned the title of "The Cool Dad" among your kid's friends.

I thought the pyrotechnics were good!

I especially liked the BANG during Marathon where Geddy sings the 'shot in the dark' line

holy FUCK - I was halfway back in the seats and it sounded loud as HELL

Blew out Geddy's mike on his keyboard :lol:

Roadie had it switched out in about 20 secs

Nowadays you're a lot more likely to stumble across Eric Bloom raiding in WoW. :)

What???

More related to the thread. I'm glad you had a good time grogg. I saw Disturbed a couple years back on the Mayhem tour. I thought they were great - the completely smashed and obliterated the sound the band before them had (I really felt sorry for Dragonforce).