DIY Guitar

This looks incredibly but I think you fucked up and followed the directions backwards :(.

...because it's lefthanded...or do you mean the neck pocket contour!?
usually it's done the other way but as i am not a lead player i do not need
the UBER acess so i was going more for optics than comfort.

I hope you won't solid paint it, the grain is beautiful!

nope, just a few layers of tru oil gun stock finish! :)

This is awesome. Good thing you bumped it, I didn't even see this thread before.

thanks! :)

Man, fantastic work so far! Coming along nicely, I am completely envious. I have the tools and the ability, but I feel a bit overwhelmed anytime I think of building my own guitar... plus I'd get lazy and never finish it. Love the ESP style headstock and the body shape, wood choices... everything. Can't wait to see pics of the finished instrument.

Man, fantastic work so far! Coming along nicely, I am completely envious. I have the tools and the ability, but I feel a bit overwhelmed anytime I think of building my own guitar... plus I'd get lazy and never finish it. Love the ESP style headstock and the body shape, wood choices... everything. Can't wait to see pics of the finished instrument.

thanks man! :)

if you have the tools etc. then just start making one!
there are plenty of YT videos with some great tips,
just watch how other do it and repeat,
the learning process is absolutely fast IMHO.

for me it's pure fun making this, even if i fuck it up at the
end it's still a great experience. you'll have to keep it going though. :)

Man, that's gotta be awesome, to build your own instrument! Much respect! Looking forward to soundclips :)

Oh, and I spilled my coffee at the ass shot. You owe me one keyboard. But if you send me a guitar, we'll call it even.

maybe if you put the word 'guitar' in the thread title, it'd get more views ;) looks cool man! i want to build my own telecaster but i have not got the tools :(

Soultrash, this looks fantastic.
I like the design and building your own instrument is a great experience and very rewarding.
Keep posting updates and good luck with the build!

Man, that's gotta be awesome, to build your own instrument! Much respect! Looking forward to soundclips :)

Oh, and I spilled my coffee at the ass shot. You owe me one keyboard. But if you send me a guitar, we'll call it even.

sorry about your keyboard, we'll see about the guitar,
maybe i'll make a few more, super quality wood, super quality hardware, simple look, fair price! ;) :D

Is the headstock gonna be untilted?

Looking cool! :)

thanks. yeah the headstock will be blank.
i'am not sure yet if i should leave it as maple or put a walnut veneer on to fit the body.

that looks sexy...
waiting for the final look

maybe if you put the word 'guitar' in the thread title, it'd get more views ;) looks cool man! i want to build my own telecaster but i have not got the tools :(

yeah, i'd get surely more attention with the word guitar in the title :D
it's not the same but you could start with a kit. there are cheap (but still good quality kits) out there. they are easy to assemble and you can still put your own note in in. no big tools needed :)

Soultrash, this looks fantastic.
I like the design and building your own instrument is a great experience and very rewarding.
Keep posting updates and good luck with the build!

sorry about your keyboard, we'll see about the guitar,
maybe i'll make a few more, super quality wood, super quality hardware, simple look, fair price! ;) :D

You know, I might actually be interested in this in a while :D I've been playing with the idea of getting either a strat or a tele for some time now, and I think a natural look on those is pretty cool. Would you consider the possibility of taking orders at some point? No time-pressure or anything of course!

today we drilled/routed the electronic cavity.
as it's one pot only we drilled the "chamber" using a
forstner bit and routed the "bed" for the cover.
the cover will be made out of walnut also, should look nice.

MetalStrat059.jpg

MetalStrat060.jpg

MetalStrat061.jpg

MetalStrat062.jpg

MetalStrat063.jpg

MetalStrat064.jpg

MetalStrat065.jpg

i pimped a few of the pics to show the beautyful walnut grain :)

Beautiful! Congrats man!

I'll try to build one myself when I can afford all necessary equipment.

Looking forward to see it finished!

i would work on the lower corner of the neck joint , aesthetically speaking make it flow more .

i know what you mean, actually would be reversed on most guitars but as i am absolutely no lead player i do not need the access. i also think that it looks pretty nice that way :)

Beautiful! Congrats man!

I'll try to build one myself when I can afford all necessary equipment.

Looking forward to see it finished!

i am really happy my uncle has a great workshop with all the necessary tools etc. otherwise i wouldn't be able to realize this project.

thanks man, i just hope i don't screw it up at the end :D

actually i was thinking about building a few more and sell them,
just to be able to buy new wood, hardware etc. so i can make even more guitars.

i am very critical in everything i
do so if i think that it's "ok", it would probably be "great" for most of the people,
still i'm not sure if i can build anything that's good enough to ask money for...:lol: