DIY Guitar

this looks awesome, loved the random ass in the middle of all the build shots, im inspired

glad you liked it! :D

That's rad. The spacing for the tuning pegs on the headstock look a bit wrong though.
Keep us all updated!

yeah, it's not the standard spacing.
i recalculated it to fit the headtock better.

Thumbs up, great job so far.
Hurry up and finish so we can admire the final product :kickass:

yeah, i'm doing as fast as i can, i'm stoked also to finally play few
notes on this one! :D

ah, before i forget...i completed the electronic cavity yesterday and sanded the body! :D

first time with 150 grit paper, then i wiped the body with a moist old shirt and repeated sanding wit 320 grit paper.
it should be ready for oiling bt i may repeat the sanding with finder paper to get a more shiny look at the end.

we also started the neck carving, it's almost done i just have to work on the thickness a bit more and refine the spots where the neck meets the /headstock/body.

MetalStrat066.jpg

MetalStrat067.jpg

MetalStrat068.jpg

MetalStrat069.jpg

MetalStrat070.jpg

today i sanded the body again and then i applied the first coat of tru oil. this stuff is awesome, so easy to apply and it delivers instantly!

we also worked on the neck, it's almost done needs some final fine sanding though. after that i'll apply tru oil on the neck also.

i'm getting close, it's almost done! :D

the hardest part may be the fretting, i am thinking about to do it by myself but i will talk to the local luthier,
if he can offer me a good prive i may assign hit to dothe fretwork.
this way i would make sure that it will be perfect. what do you guys think!?

MetalStrat081.JPG

MetalStrat082.JPG

MetalStrat083.JPG

MetalStrat084.JPG

MetalStrat085.JPG

MetalStrat086.JPG

MetalStrat087.JPG

MetalStrat088.JPG

MetalStrat089.JPG

MetalStrat090.JPG

MetalStrat091.JPG

any suggestions about the body design, i like it a lot, thinking about to order to make a profesional temlate out of it

Fretting.
I am sure you already saw the video but i will put it in here anyway for all the other curious Sneapsters to see how it is done.

[edit]OFC not my video :) I know nothing about building guitars.

Last edited by a moderator:
It already looks REALLY nice. Beautiful grain on the body and fingerboard.

Fretting looks very challenging, so if I haven't done a few time, I wouldn't risk damaging such a nice fingerboard. And put the best frets your money can buy since it's not that expensive!! (true temperament is a bit too much, right?!)

You're going to apply tru oil as the final finish for the entire guitar? I love how that looks!

@Mutant
thanks for the link! :)
this looks easy actually but i'm still afraid of screwing it up. i think i will get it done by a professional but also i may practise on some spare wood and do it by myself.

@KillFrenzy
thanks man! :)
i bought stainles steel frets from dunlop, should be fine i think.
true temperament is not an optin as the fretboard is already sliced.
also i don't think that i can buy "lefthand true temp" frets anywhere.

yeah, i will apply a few layers on the complete guitar.
i think i will go with 3-4 layers o the body and max 2 layers on the neck,
i will try to keep it as natural as possible.