DIY Guitar

thanks man! :)

here's a little update. today i celaned the fret slots and reoiled the body. it has 2 coats of tru oil now and it starts to get shiny, nice!

i also oiled the fretboard (very very thin layer) and the neck for the forst time. the next time i will reoil everything and maybe get some frets in :)

MetalStrat092.jpg

MetalStrat093.jpg

MetalStrat094.jpg

MetalStrat095.jpg

MetalStrat096.jpg

MetalStrat097.jpg

MetalStrat098.jpg

Looks great! And even though you might not be able to go true temp, you can always use Earvana.

what's the deal with true temp, i mean what is it referred to? is it because of the zero fret?

yeah i've heard about true temp and i've also seen the video but i can't find the connection to my build right now...*confusedasfuck* :D

He meant that since you're not using true temp that you could use an earvana nut to improve your intonation slightly. I had an earvana nut on an LTD and it definitely did something to the intonation. Still I prefer the permanently lubricated graph tech nuts. They will not need any nut sauce or lubricant.

By the way, why did you choose a zero fret? I never had a chance to play a guitar that had one.

ok, that makes sense :)

then again if i understand the earvana thing correctly it won't work with a zero fret guitar as mine...need to check this out.

@Fbarre
yeah, unfortunately...

@CronosBeyond
i will post new pics as soon as i can contine the build (hoping to find some time this friday)

ok, today i resanded and oiled the body/neck for the last time, i think 3 layers on the body and 2 layers on the neck should be fine.
i have also painted the electronics cavity and pickup routing with shielding paint, hope this works, never tried it before.

i am looking forward to complete the body the next time, maybe i will start, or at least prepare the fretwork...:)

MetalStrat099.jpg

MetalStrat100.jpg

MetalStrat101.jpg

MetalStrat102.jpg

MetalStrat103.jpg

MetalStrat104.jpg

MetalStrat105.jpg

here's a few more NEW pics from the last session. i know some of them are repetitive (body front/back)

i think it's still good to see these and how the wood is changing through the different additive layers of tru oil.

there are 5 layers now IIRC and i will wipe on a last layer the next time i find some time :)

MetalStrat106.JPG

MetalStrat107.JPG

MetalStrat108.JPG

MetalStrat109.JPG

MetalStrat110.JPG

MetalStrat111.JPG

MetalStrat112.JPG

MetalStrat113.JPG

MetalStrat114.JPG

MetalStrat115.JPG

MetalStrat116.JPG

MetalStrat117.JPG

not much progress at the moment as i am pretty busy otherwise, though i managed to press in the shucks/ferrules today :)

MetalStrat118.JPG

hey guys,
i finally had some time to work on the neck! :)

i have installed, leveled, crowned and polished the frets today!

due to a small accident i do not have a zero fret anymore, it will
be replaced by a standard tusq nut.

at the end i recognized one fret was not crowned properly
so i have to fix that the next time...

all in all i did A LOT today and the guitar is close to be finished,
just need to re-crown the fret, clean up and re-oil the neck,
polish the frets one last time and then i can start to assembly the guitar, yeah! :D

MetalStrat119.JPG

MetalStrat120.JPG

MetalStrat121.JPG

MetalStrat122.JPG

MetalStrat123.JPG

MetalStrat124.JPG

MetalStrat125.JPG

MetalStrat126.JPG

MetalStrat127.JPG

MetalStrat128.JPG

MetalStrat129.JPG

MetalStrat130.JPG