DIY pedals

carvedones

May 16, 2007
Ok today i decided to make a looper, as all the ones i have seen cost way to much to buy. I dont know anything about electronics, but i can solder ok.
Anyway...what i was trying to do is :
Loop 1 : Clean (chorus in the loop)
Loop 2 : Rhythm (overdrive in the loop)
Loop 3 : Lead (boost and delay in the loop)

It worked out great to be honest.
Only this is you have to press loop 1 and 2 at the same time as each button doesnt cancel the other one out. (No idea how to do that)

Here it is anyway :

Picture020.jpg

Now my next goal is to be able to make this in a rack version with an adapting pedal. (that would be cool)

Anyone have any idea how i could hock up a pedal to a rack version? (maybe midi plug)

If I saw a schematic I might have an idea on the rack pedal, but there are so many ways to do these things that I couldn't possibly guess which you picked. You could probably get some pretty extensive hookup information just searching for audio connectors online, I'll try to look things up after class if you can describe what you did.

Jeff

Sorry, I can't help you with your question, but I think it's really cool that you can build your own gear! I wish i could, too, but it seems like I'm having two left hands when it comes to working on something like that. Anyway, keep us updated with this and your DIY guitar! :)

Well thanks for the comments.
Genius...It was very easy and only cost $40 (remember parts are dearer over here in OZ).

Jeff here is the schematics i used.
dia5.gif

Is very simple but it works.

That makes sense, but I can't think of a way to conveniently deal with a small number of cables between floorboard and rack with that configuration. What I would do would actually be to set up an on-off switch for each individual loop, which would require only a hot and ground from each 'loop', and since all ground connections should be shared (because ground likes being the village bicycle, if you get my drift...) only four wires (and a much easier jack configuration) would actually need to be used in the end. What you do is basically leave all of the loops on at any given point in time, but have a switch connect the ground and hot when 'off' and disconnect them (resulting in a signal) when 'on', and have whatever survives go out. Perhaps I should draw this if you want to give that a try, as it might make more sense, but right now I can't do much of anything.

EDIT: GGI, the limiting factor with simple things like this will always be the number of switches you'll need and how much you want to spend on switches and a box. I wouldn't go for anything but Carling switches on anything I like... they just seem the most solid of all of the switches and I've never heard of one dying before the rest of the circuit fell victim to a nuclear holocaust. I also hate the FET switching companies like Ibanez and Boss use... it just feels too squishy to be reliable. Carlings just feel fucking cool under the boots - like whenever you stomp on one there's a little fairy inside trying to keep the circuit turned off, and hitting the switch snaps that fucker's spine and the thing turns on. Well... okay, that's gotta be a lot of fucking fairies, but... still, snapping their little fruity fairy spines is fun, end of discussion. Anyway, plan on spending about ten bucks a piece on these buggers. The case can be had for prices under about $10, depending on how much you want to look, how odd your box needs to be, and whether or not you'd rather just grab another case from something else and leave something else homeless for a while. Hookup wire is dirt - I've actually rigged up someone's guitar using wire exposed from when he ripped his bloody smoke alarm off the ceiling - and solder is hardly more. Hell, if you wanted to get some 3PDT switches so that you could have LEDs indicating the state of each switch (because it's just so bloody hard to tell when chorus is going...) you'd spend maybe a dollar on LEDs and a 9V clip. You can go a lot cheaper than this, too, especially if you don't mind cheaper components (I can see why those who don't hate fairies as much as someone like me wouldn't need the best switches on the fucking planet), so if anything holds you back it really shouldn't be the price. It's great fun if you really like trying to figure out odd ways of doing simple things, or you want to have more options available to you at a low price. As I know I've said before, PM me if you want to build something but can't figure out how it would go.

Jeff

That makes sense Jeff. But I dont know how to wire that up.

Jeff, I know you mod pedals but have you ever mad any like the "Build your own clone" ones?
I have been wondering about these and whether they are worth building.