DIY vocal rider!

nezvers

Beast
Oct 5, 2010
Latvia, Riga
Just run on this vid but just don't get idea what is needed to do that stuff.

Maybe someone could explain what I missed to understand that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a more in depth explaination of exactly the same thing as that video shows: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun10/articles/cubase_0610.htm

I don't get how this is like the vocal rider. All it does is pushing the volume of the vocal track when the backing track gets louder. If I were to use this on any track (as he claims works) it would need to be able to even out levels of a track without listening to another. I mean, how often do you want the bass to punch you in the balls just because the kick drum just hit. I would rather want the opposite if any.

I'm not sure if the guy posting this video knows how Vocal Rider really works. This is just basic side chaining. First he mentions that compressors add bad qualities to tracks... then he uses an expander which adds the same qualities as compressors. :)

IMO a better thing to do is to have your vocals NOT change volume since it's the most important thing in a mix. I'd rather just side chain my guitars with my vocal tracks so when ever there is singing, the guitar tracks will pump. Preferable use a multiband EQ or even better the L316 limiter since it automatically does the trick. Don't worry, you can't hear the pumping if it's done correctly.

Yeah, this trick still requires the vocal track to be squashed to hell and back. It just takes in account the level of the music, and adjusts the level of the vocal accordingly. it does'nt care if the vocal sat at -10db or -18db to begin with.

This can surely be useful to someone, but it's in no way a substitute to the vocal rider.