Vocal compression

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
What do you guys commonly use as starting point vocal compression settings?
I've started experimenting with faster attack times, to get a vocal sitting more evenly, but it seems that shortening it too much makes the vocal sink back behind the mix.

I'm just looking for that ideal balance between punch and dynamic control.

Speaking of which, what are some popular vocal compression plug-ins? I commonly use Rcomp, but that has its own sound. Maybe something more transparent is the go?

What do you guys commonly use as starting point vocal compression settings?
I've started experimenting with faster attack times, to get a vocal sitting more evenly, but it seems that shortening it too much makes the vocal sink back behind the mix.

I'm just looking for that ideal balance between punch and dynamic control.

Speaking of which, what are some popular vocal compression plug-ins? I commonly use Rcomp, but that has its own sound. Maybe something more transparent is the go?

RVox is really good for transparent leveling stuff, and simple as all hell to boot.

i like the sonalksis sv-315 for vocals and the BF76 1176 'clone' is actually not too bad for really extreme pumping compression on vocals.

i've been wanting to get a UAD-1 pretty much just for the 1176 and LA-2A on vox

I've heard good things about Rvox, but I feel so paranoid using something with so little controls. It was kind of like getting accustomed to the SSL Channel for my drums, where the only attack settings are 'Fast' and 'Slow'.

uad 1176 rules on vox.

generally my vox comp settings are not dissimilar to snare drum settings .
4:1 slow attack fast release. .
but thats just me
ymmv

I like Cubase4's intern Compressor on vox...
short attack 5-8ms (for male metalvox!) and release auto or about 50-100ms about 10dB of reduction...but that's just a VERY ruff setting, would change with every singer and style.