Master buss compression - what works for certain material...

nwright

Apr 19, 2005
New Castle, Indiana
www.myspace.com
I have been trying out some different settings for master buss compression on a recent project and it has me thinking so I thought I'd ask here to see what you guys think and/or do with your work.

In the past, I've seen some people post up screen shots of their settings for a master buss compressor and in general I find that I favor a slower attack and auto release, whereas a lot of dudes use a faster attack and release.

Most of the work I do is metal based (obviously) with a lot of double kick. I tend to use the Waves SSL bus comp plugin and usually have the attack at 10 or 30 with an auto release. I like the punch and depth it brings in while preserving the attack more so than "evening" things out with a quicker attack.

Are there "general" guidelines (that you've learned about or created for yourself) for master buss compression you guys find yourself using? If so, care to share?

I tend to do the same as you do, so sharing won't do much. I'm eager to hear about others' way of doing this though.

Me personally, ITB I almost always use the waves SSL comp at 4:1/30ms att/100ms release. Sometimes I'll switch to 2:1/10ms/auto but rarely.

I never understood the whole fast attack of the ST buss, but it does work for some people.

I'm no different, using 4:1, 30ms attack and auto or 100ms release pretty much exclusively. Around 3dB GR.

It's funny in a way, every hardware SSL bus comp I've encountered in the flesh this far has had the knobs at the same settings.

I have a hardware ssl comp (clone). I have my settings at 4:1 ratio, auto release, 30ms release. GR between 2 and 4 db.

2:1, Slow attack, Release to tempo, GR 1-2 (max 3).

how would you go about determining what release time correlates to the tempo of the song? I never could figure this out in regards to kick drum release settings either.

For me it really depends on the source material on how palm mutes and the kick drum are impacting the mix. For the SSL comp I usually go 1ms tp 3ms attack and 300ms to auto release with ratio of 2:1. For me (and I stress for me) any attack higher than that and I totally lose the 'glue' feeling that the compressor provides.

On a couple of mixes I've used 10ms attack auto release with 2:1 ratio for and sometimes even 30ms attack 100ms release 4:1 ratio. I aim for about 2-4dbs gain reduction no matter what the settings.

on the waves SSL comp I use 2:1, 30ms attack and autorelease. hitting around 2dB

On my hardware SSL comp I use 2:1 10ms attack and 0.1 release. hitting between 4-8dB

Good to see a post like this ATM because I´d like to ask you something I have in mind for a while.

I have Waves SSL& hardware clone. I have the hardware clone inserted in the master bus as an external insert as long as my Neve Eq so I usually do all my comp&eq prior to clip my converter and limit. My question: It isn´t redundant to use the software version in the master bus, killing maybe 2db GR and then another 2 db´s with the hardware version??
It´s just I feel I´m gonna overcompress the shit before clipping....thanks!!!

Vast majority of the time I'm on 30ms att/Auto Rel and 4:1 with the SSL-style comps. Tends to give the best combo of glue and punch for me - also allowing a large amount of GR if your mix is right. Rarely ever do I go below 30ms att, and if I do it's usually for really soft, ballad-like material.

I disagree with The Glue being better than anything though. That is one of the most boring comps I've ever heard, and frequently pick it as my least fave in blind shoots. It has about none of the vibe I like about my hardware GSSL.