Do 6x12 Impulses exist?

Mar 15, 2011
I play through a 6x12, and have no idea how to make impulses.

Just thought it'd be a pretty cool idea if someone had made impulses using a 6x12.

But would it make a difference? I mean, I think it makes a difference in my tone live, but for impulses, could you hear the bigger sound?

btw, I'm using an Aftershock Designs 6x12. The guy builds all of his cabs to Orange specs, so imagine if Orange made a 6x12.

This is it when it was brand new, but the guy I bought it from (from Craigslist) destroyed the tolex:

394711_322880697745572_1243991950_n.jpg

I would be interested in the sound too..
- Reamp a DI through it
- Record 2 tracks: 1 with the poweramp and 1 with the miced signal
-> We'll do the rest :)

(always keep a load connected etc..)

I'm not sure I can DI the head.

My 6505+ won't turn off stand by ATM (I think it needs a new tube)

So I've been using a VTM 60 for the time being, and I'm not sure I can send the signal out of it other than to a cabinet

Here, take a look (maybe its the "Booster out"?):

IMAG0021.jpg

Again: Don't ever use the head without a cabinet/load! Don't ever connect the speaker out directly to your interface!

If you own a DI box that endures speaker level you could grab the signal the following way:
Speaker out -> DI box in -> DI box link out -> cabinet
+
Di box balanced output -> interface
That's the way I'm doing it.

You should research precisely if your DI box is suited for that though. I don't want you to fry your amp/interface/DI box!

IMO if we're talking about recording then I don't think there will be much of a difference between this and a 212 or 412 especially if you're close mic-ing. Same goes for impulses.

Again: Don't ever use the head without a cabinet/load! Don't ever connect the speaker out directly to your interface!

If you own a DI box that endures speaker level you could grab the signal the following way:
Speaker out -> DI box in -> DI box link out -> cabinet
+
Di box balanced output -> interface
That's the way I'm doing it.

You should research precisely if your DI box is suited for that though. I don't want you to fry your amp/interface/DI box!

I'm aware of always having your head needing to be plugged into a cab, which isnt an issue. I'm in a house not an apartment.

All I have is a Line 6 UX1 that I recently got for an interface. (as well as a Shure SM57). I don't think it'll work like your talking.

IMO if we're talking about recording then I don't think there will be much of a difference between this and a 212 or 412 especially if you're close mic-ing. Same goes for impulses.

See, that's what I was wondering. I was thinking it probably wouldn't make a difference unless it was a room mic.

There will be a difference, the cab measurements do affect the tone.
A 4x12 will always sound different than a 2x12!