Iso cabs

JoergieN

Jul 12, 2010
Drøbak, Norway
I've been researching this forum a lot about this as a solution for home recording. I have access to a lot of amps but I personally haven't owned an amp in like 4 years. I've just been using pod farm which I have grown to hate. After researching this forum I have heard people would rather use impulses than iso cabs... I don't have any experience with iso cabs but I find this strange. I have heard people say that the worst thing about amp sims are the impulses, so I find it weird that although the room settings for the speakers in iso cabs are not ideal for micing amps, that people would not do that instead of impulses. Anyone have any recent experience with this? Using either of these methods could be an option for me

I hate to bump this but these are some real legitimate options for me. I've done the research and people are saying iso boxes are great but I have seen mixed feelings on this board. I trust you guys over any other source

Hasn't Ola done a video or two with his iso cab? I'm pretty sure he digs it. But then again, he can make anything sound good. I've never used one, but I'm also looking into them for my apartment...

I own a Randall ISO cab and have gravitated to using it more and more lately as well. Late night recording with a full sized cab is out these days with a family.

Ola have you done any mods worth mentioning to yours? I know several owners suggest extra acoustic foam etc.

I own a Randall ISO cab and have gravitated to using it more and more lately as well. Late night recording with a full sized cab is out these days with a family.

Ola have you done any mods worth mentioning to yours? I know several owners suggest extra acoustic foam etc.

The only mod I did was to add another microphone output so I can use two microphones.

genuinely interested in these but surely just the one speaker doesn't move much air!? therefore surely it doesn't sound that great?

Yeah I'd like to try one. It has to sound better than impulses. Maybe use some plugins that add ambiance that you're not getting from using big space.

How loud is it outside of the cabinet, realistically? Like once it's sealed up, what can be heard outside? I'm really looking into getting either the Randall or Jet City iso cab, but need it to be pretty quite as I'll be in an apartment.

Should also mention that this isn't for final tones or anything, just tracking with something other than impulses or PODfarm.

^^^ This makes no sense.

Who else makes Iso cabs besides Randall and Jet City?

Grossmann Audio for example
i have one SG-FAT Isobox, the heavy one, the isolation is very good, it claims to be about 35db if i remember correctly, you still can hear the sound in the room a bit, but your neighbors, or the person sitting in the room next to you want hear it (depending on the build quality of the walls too of course). and you still can feel the palm-mutes on the ground, therefore you can help with an additional layer of anti-vibration mat, like the ones you are using for your washing machines.

I rather record with the Iso Box next to me, than a full blown 4x12, but if i have the chance to record the 4x12 in a separate room its a different story..

Also the ISO Box, without the Cover, is pretty loud, dont get a wrong impression just because its only one speaker, in a living / bedroom situation with a small room and all the nasty reflections, its hurting my ears :D

I'm curious about iso cabs as well. I thought the general consensus was that they don't sound very good, but it looks like they might be worth looking into. Has anybody tried the Rivera Silent Sister? It supposedly has chambers to relieve the pressure from being in a sealed box, it's pretty expensive compared to some of the other options though.