Iso cab or impulses

AudioGeekZine

arsehole know-it-all
Jan 1, 2008
Vancouver
www.audiogeekzine.com
I know this has been talked about before, fuck you. I want your opinion today not in 2007.

My studio is in an apartment. I don't have any big amps (yet) but I also don't want to say I can't do something in my studio, in addition to no drums.
Plus the wife acceptance factor is in effect.
I'm not really that thrilled with my results with impulses thus far and I have to do a fuckload of proccessing to get acceptable results ITB compared to miking an amp.

So loud guitars. The options are:
Iso Cab like the fairly inexpensive Jet City
DIY Iso cab, which would look less pro and/or cost about as much as the Jet City
Impulses (which is not very loud at all) :Smug:
losing business

GO!

Well... judging by my results with a cab + bunch of blankets over the top... I'd say ISO cab. It's gonna be similar to what I'm getting I reckon.

a slightly boxy tone is worth the neighbors not kicking your ass!

No impulse sounds as good and a mic'd cab. Atleast I haven't found one yet, and I own all the supposedly "really good" impulses. Recabinet, Redwires, Catharsis. While they sound great on demos and when you cant crank up your amp. Its still just not the same.

I'd love to get an ISO cab to experiment with... It'd be nice to get the power amp/speaker dynamics that impulses can't capture. But, as Marcus says, will the sound be any better?

impulses= no or minimal costs, tons of options, flexibility, good sound
isocab= expensive, not really flexible, may sound good but not as a mic'd 4x12.

I was in this exact scenario about 2 months ago and ended up buying a THD hot plate, Beyer Dynamics DT990 Headphones and redwirez impulses for my setup (6505+ into Orange PPC 4x12) and running the amp quite hot with a lead from the pre-amp out into my audio interface.

Now i'm happily shredding away and for what I want it totally gets the job done.

All the IsoCab's i could find were either really expensive, quite limited or worse still just really physically big and not practical for having in an apartment.