do any of you christians feel convicted about metal?

teamventure

Jun 8, 2011
for you christian theocracy fans out there. i have felt convicted ever since about 2011. i gave up metal all together but later discovered theocracy and found them uplifting. however, i still feel convicted about secular metal bands. do any of you feel convicted about metal?

Please share your stories and whether or not you were convicted.

Convicted? Not much. But I don't listen to much metal that isn't Christian.

Then again, as a protestant, I don't feel convicted by the music of Mozart, despite his Catholic and Freemasonic beliefs and practices with which I disagree.

Yes and no.
First of all; the extremes.
Personally I simply cannot enjoy Slayer (or any antireligious or Satanic band) due to their lyrics (despite Araya being Catholic), and while some may agree with Araya that it simply doesn't matter, it's an issue I can't avoid.

Secular stuff which has nothing to do with religion? Sure, I can dig it, and I usually do. I never had problems listening to Sonata Arctica or Rhapsody (similar bands) or to Insomnium which is a melodic death metal band with plenty of positive lyrics.

i think for me i was so into secular metal and some really dark stuff that God was like, you"re getting rid of everything and for your own good. so melodic bands like the ones you mentioned went out with it.

I don't see anything inherently evil or dark about the three bands I mentioned, but then again if that's how you feel then there's no reason for me to say otherwise.
I just don't read anything malicious in their music that would make me abandon them.

Yes, I listen to secular metal. I am a Five Finger Death Punch fan.
No, I do not feel convicted.
I listen to a lot of secular music. See, a song is only as Satanic as you believe it to be. Blind Guardian's Sacred Worlds sounds like it is about a fallen angel gaining power from an unearthly source. But the way I look at it, it is about a person "rising above" problems that just seem almost hopeless with metaphorical lyrics.
Although if you're listening to some Black/death/Doom metal with lyrics like "I HATE GOD **** GOD SATAN IS MY LORD" that is obviously satanic.
The secular music I listen to is either Power Metal/Metallica. I really don't see how some people should feel "convicted" with metaphorical lyrics that are essentially pretty much empty.

for you christian theocracy fans out there. i have felt convicted ever since about 2011. i gave up metal all together but later discovered theocracy and found them uplifting. however, i still feel convicted about secular metal bands. do any of you feel convicted about metal?

Like Aletheus, I'd say yes and no. There is one Faroese band I discovered whose musical style is full of wonderful harmonic wonderfulness (redundancy intended), but the lead singer is virulently anti-Christian. I was pretty strongly convicted by this and I stopped listening to them altogether. But there is also a lot of metal that seems fairly neutral, and I have no issue listening to them at all.

i think for me i was so into secular metal and some really dark stuff that God was like, you"re getting rid of everything and for your own good. so melodic bands like the ones you mentioned went out with it.

Bravo for your obedience to God's leading. What you describe is something similar to what I once experienced. When I first became a Christian, though some things I was listening to might not have been inherently sinful, I feel that God encouraged me to give them up so that I could make a "clean break" from my old life. And I'm thankful because I really needed that. This didn't mean that it was a permanent thing (though it took many years for me to start listening to metal again).

Fortunately, the Holy Spirit lives in you, brings you into all truth, and will guide you if you ask Him. It may sound simple, but sincerely ask Him what you should do.

When I initially read your post, it reminded me of myself, because in 2012 I found the band and went through what you did with giving up metal. Actually, I felt convicted in the beginning, but the lyrics were so true and genuine that it didn't last very long. I still won't listen to "Laying the demon to rest," but anything else is good with me.

Hey ChristianRocker116, I'm sorry you're missing out on one of Theocracy's most amazing songs because you don't like the way the title is worded.

Laying anything to rest means finishing or burying it. I think demons should burn in hell for all eternity - and they will. This song is jam-packed full of Bible quotes and a huge amount of encouragement as we battle demons in many forms of spiritual warfare.

The verb "lay" means, broadly, 'put something down': they are going to lay the carpet; hens lay eggs. I hate the way people misuse the words "lay" and "laying" thinking it means lying down. If anyone on this forum wants an English grammar lesson, just let me know.:)

Hey ChristianRocker116, I'm sorry you're missing out on one of Theocracy's most amazing songs because you don't like the way the title is worded.

Laying anything to rest means finishing or burying it. I think demons should burn in hell for all eternity - and they will. This song is jam-packed full of Bible quotes and a huge amount of encouragement as we battle demons in many forms of spiritual warfare.

The verb "lay" means, broadly, 'put something down': they are going to lay the carpet; hens lay eggs. I hate the way people misuse the words "lay" and "laying" thinking it means lying down. If anyone on this forum wants an English grammar lesson, just let me know.:)

You brought up some good points. Perhaps I will check it out later.

EDIT: Update - I listened to it. Powerful lyrics (which I have come to expect from Matt). The chorus was absolutely fantastic, but the rest of the song seemed to lack something, I can't put my finger on what it was.