Here's my (hopefully not boring) Theocracy story...

The Metal Reb

New Metal Member
May 13, 2018
Greetings to all... I'm a new poster here, and a new Theocracy fan...I'm an old metalhead (46), but I have recently realized that I am not too old to be inspired...back in the heyday of Christian rock, (late 80's/early 90's), I played bass for a band from Mississippi called David And The Giants...we did a southern rock type thing, and did it pretty well...but I've always been into the heavier stuff, so I always gravitated towards Metallica, Sevendust, Avenged Sevenfold, Dream Theater, Pantera, and more recently Five Finger Death Punch, Volbeat, etc...you get the idea...however, there was always one thing missing: an exceptional heavy Christian band...I've tried to listen to various heavy Christian bands over the years, but there was always something that just bugged the heck out of me regarding each and every band I listened to...most of the time it was the vocals...Demon Hunter: too much screaming...Red: too "electronic" sounding, and just not heavy enough...Skillet: just did not like...there were others, but I was never satisfied...

About two weeks ago, I accidentally discovered the Ghost Ship video on YouTube...it was perfect...the song had/has the right dose of everything...I was shocked...for two weeks I've been, for the first time in a long time, in a euphoric musical state...I've bought everything I can get my hands on regarding Theocracy...this band satisfies everything I want out of heavy music...

I've never been opposed to secular music, and given the style I like that would have been a huge problem if I had been...I've seen many, many live secular shows...for a time, after I left D&G, I moved to Nashville and played in several different bands, (most of them secular), and travelled all over the world playing music...but as a Christian, I always wanted to find a band that we could call our own, a band to be proud of, a band that could stand alongside any other metal act in the world...enter Theocracy...there are many great heavy bands in this world, but after listening to metal for nearly four decades, I can honestly say without reservation, that Theocracy is near the top of the heap...finally, after all these years, I'm satisfied ;)...

Matt, I grew up in rural Nowhere, Mississippi, so I know what it's like to feel like you're a million miles away from ANYBODY who loves heavy music...I never fit in either and felt invisible many, many times...my friends were all boot scootin', but I did not want to boogey woogey...I wanted to rock.
So to Matt and the rest of the guys in Theocracy, I just want to say thank you for what you're doing...the material, performances, and production is second to none...you have NO IDEA the effect you are having on people, even old metal soldiers like myself...thank you for inspiring me and many others, and for giving me what I've waited on for nearly 40 years...I'm proudly boarding the Ghost Ship for whatever's to come...we know who The Captain is, so we KNOW we are in for a glorious ride...God Bless Theocracy.

Not that it's my place to say so, but Welcome!

I'm the same vintage as you, live in Australia, studied piano and trumpet as a kid and played drums badly in a wannabe grunge band before taking classical singing seriously 20+ years ago, so my musical journey has been very different to yours, but here we meet on the now practically deserted Theocracy forum!

I embraced Christian rock and glam in the late 80s/early 90s, but really craved a fusion of Stryper and Mortification - Michael Sweet's high notes with Jayson Sherlock's double bass drumming. Back then I settled for Deliverance, Vengeance Rising and Tourniquet, but by God's grace, about a decade ago, I happened to overhear some DragonForce which eventually led me to Theocracy! Now I'm also mad about Sonata Arctica, Ascension, Pathfinder, Scelerata, DragonForce and ReinXeed (I'm in the process of tracking down Japanese bonus versions of all ReinXeed albums, devastated that Tommy has joined Sabaton instead of pumping out more of his own gloriously frenzied music), and eagerly awaiting more great music from Theocracy!!

Welcome, Reb! I'm glad you found the band. Like Aish, I'm also the same vintage. I grew up on Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Iron Maiden, etc. I guess I was lucky in that there was a small but devoted group of kids into metal when I was in high school, so I never had to feel alone (though we certainly felt like outcasts as a group!). Theocracy has been filling the "heavy Christian metal" hole in my life for 15 years now \m/

As Aish mentioned, it's been pretty dead around here the last few years, so don't take any lack of response personally!

If you're a Facebook guy, make sure to follow the band there, as that's where the action and news seems to be.

I'm the quasi-moderator of our sleepy little board, so let me know if you have any questions!