Do you know who rules?

Erik said:
...of which Sacramentum is not one :)
I must say, that Far Away from the Sun kind of disappointed me. I was expecting to hear blackened death, but it is a pure, standard black metal album. It is almost as overrated as Thousand Swords by Graveland. It is still a pretty good album though.

As far as At the Gates goes, I actually like all of their stuff, even though their earlier work is much better, and SotS is populist, catchy melodeath. The music of earlier At the Gates is more well written than anything Dissection has ever put out, but for some reason I still like Dissection better.

Just remember, its all about musical preserence. At the Gates are a really good a band, and you cant deny some of their good albums.

You either are a band member of Dissection or something or your just a waste of skin. Either way your an idiot.

Btw how do you compare Dissection and ATG? WTF? Whats next? You gonna compare bathory to ministry or something?

My favourite ATG album is 'With fear...' but I think I'll take the opposite stance to JP and say that IMO they've never released a bad album. I enjoy SotS a great deal, and though it might be going a bit far to say that it's a 'classic' record, it is certainly the best example of the style I've heard.

Dissection weren't as important as ATG but I enjoy them just as much. I find The Somberlain and SotLB more enjoyable than anything Sacramentum have released, though Far away from the sun is certainly a great album.

Guardian of Darkness said:
Dissection are absolutely nowhere near the level of ATG at their peak.

Absolutely fucking wrong. Dissection don't fuck up the fact that they play HEAVY FUCKING METAL with their melodic ideas, they integrate both flawlessly. At The Gates's early work is some of the most boring, unstructured DM of all time (this is coming from someone who loves bands like Demilich, The Chasm, and Golem), their later work is gothentrash. Worthless.

Dissection are alright, just boring. Early ATG is pretty tough to get into (TRITS... took me ages) but seriously, 'some of the most boring, unstructured DM of all time'?!

Guardian of Darkness said:
'some of the most boring, unstructured DM of all time'?!

I honestly believe that with firmest conviction. I also believe that the musicians who played it just didn't know what they were doing songwriting-wise, and some people thought it to be genius. I mean, I LOVE technical Death Metal, but I've even memorized some of these early ATG songs, listening to them so much and trying to find any value whatsoever.

Dissection however, derives their formulas from 80's Thrash/Death, and adding Maidenish melodies in a SENSIBLE fashion, not diluting the music. Night's Blood > Everything from the "Gothenburg scene".

AtG were great with "With Fear...", none of their other albums are particularly impressive. Though I still dont get why SotS gets all the flack it does, its a perfectly listenable album, its just not that great. Oh, and "Terminal Spirit Disease" is pretty underrated IMO.

ATG's earlier albums still havent clicked for me, but I don't give them much playing. I still realy like Slaughter of the Soul, regardless of what anyone things.

Jean-Pierre said:
Absolutely fucking wrong. Dissection don't fuck up the fact that they play HEAVY FUCKING METAL with their melodic ideas, they integrate both flawlessly. At The Gates's early work is some of the most boring, unstructured DM of all time (this is coming from someone who loves bands like Demilich, The Chasm, and Golem), their later work is gothentrash. Worthless.

You took the words right out of my mouth.