Nov 25, 2010
Orange County, CA
For example:

Guitars and Kick Click

or

Bass grit and Kick click

Perhaps all 3.

Anything else?

Any rule of thumbs? Do you actually not want to match anything and keep everything separated?

Edit: lol, not matchEQ sorry, I guess its a little difficult for me to put into words without showing you guys sonically. Usually the Kick's click resides somewhere around 6khz, typically I boost the bass grit at 1.5khz and 3khz. Sometimes I'll boost the bass at 6khz or 6.2khz, It kind of works congruent with the Kick click so i was just wondering if there are certain instruments you match/blend or whatever the term is together. I think I read somewhere that your the Kick should match with the guitars, something like that, perhaps someone can shed some light?

I think in metal you are always struggling for clarity between instruments and so people always try to keep the instruments seperate. Everything has to have its own space or it quickly turns to mush. In other genres it isn't uncommon at all for different parts to work with each other, in reggae they used to get all that bass by pointing the bass amp at the drum kit whilst recording.
As for bass click around the kick at 6k, I imagine that would be incredibly annoying and really grate on the ears after a short amount of time.

If my kick and bass guitar both have cool musical information around the same frequency I sometimes try using the frequency octaves (dont quite remember exactly what the proper term is).
example, if the kick sounds cool with a little boost at 150 and the bass guitar does as well than I would boost kick at 150 and pull a little out of the bass but boost the bass at 300 (double the frequency number in question) and pull that out of the kick. I cant say I understand why it works, its just some crazy shit I read that sometimes works for me.
I dont think the mindset of matching instruments together eq wise is one I would want to start a mix with though, in metal mixes im always striving for separation and then addressing cohesion issues later if they arise.

I never cared about this, I just try to make every instrument sound as wide as possible in the frequency spectrum when recording then I'll remove unwanted frequencies in the mix (hp/lp if necessary). If the kick is too clicky in the mix I lower it's volume, if it's too bassy I lower It's bass frequencies, if the click gets lost in some parts because of the guitars I automate them, same as bass grit, etc. I always sample replace drums and hear If there are sounds that I like mixed with the other instruments I'll use them, as long as the mix is balanced and I like every instrument I'm hearing.

I will very occasionally match the bass clank with the kick attack, but only on mixes where the kick is completely natural. With a sampled kick, it ends up being obnoxious.