do you really care about the underground?

metu

Nov 21, 2002
MI, USA
Visit site
You know, damn near the bottom of this forum is a little area with a list of countries and regions. If you want to support the underground, that's where you should go. So many of you spend your time up here where your post will be all but worthless in a week. Many just list a bunch of bands so that they can sound 'underground' while they promote their band and/or website. Selfishness reigns... that's why communism failed.

Why don't you go on down and spend your time more effectively by discussing japanese and brazillian death metal. Maybe you have some questions about slovakian doom or czechian thrash... ask them. Maybe you've read in some article that Chile has a great and hugely underrated scene.... It's true! And they're not the only ones! Real metal is struggling in all corners of the globe. Does that mean nothing to you? Do you not believe in metal?

metu said:
Do you really care about the underground?
No.. i don't

Well... actually, i think... if a band its good... then they will go FAR... against all the odds.. But i do care about underground, specially in my country.

I've found some really amazing underground acts, in Croatia, Colombia, Australia and Japan... some other good acts in some other countries, but as many.

But, underground dosen't mean GOOD...

..... by the way... i have a question, when does band stops being "underground"??

metu said:
You know, damn near the bottom of this forum is a little area with a list of countries and regions. If you want to support the underground, that's where you should go. So many of you spend your time up here where your post will be all but worthless in a week. Many just list a bunch of bands so that they can sound 'underground' while they promote their band and/or website. Selfishness reigns... that's why communism failed.

Why don't you go on down and spend your time more effectively by discussing japanese and brazillian death metal. Maybe you have some questions about slovakian doom or czechian thrash... ask them. Maybe you've read in some article that Chile has a great and hugely underrated scene.... It's true! And they're not the only ones! Real metal is struggling in all corners of the globe. Does that mean nothing to you? Do you not believe in metal?

I don't have a band to promote, I don't list bands to 'sound underground'. I don't care about the underground 'scene', I just look for bands that I'll enjoy and that's that. I don't give a crap about their country, but of course if I like their music, I'll try to support them as best I can. But I'm not going to support say... the Slovakian 'scene', only the individual bands that I feel deserve my support.

I like many really underground bands. But I like them because they are good, and not because they are underground, although I used to have a thing for underground bands from obscure places not known for metal like US and Sweden are. I think it sucks that many great bands' CDs are not available here in the US because they are an underground band from some obscure scene. Bands like Orphaned Land, Abaddon Incarnate, Regorge, Novembre, etc. sould really have distribution here in America, and the fact that they do not is a travesty.

I have a webzine. Unsigned bands are always sending me demos and if I like what I hear, I give them as much support as I can. I don't do it just because they have a fan base of five people. Elitists, like the person who created this thread, really make me sick. Support music for the music, not because of it's elite status.

I'm sorry for making you sick. :]

I understand that underground doesn't mean good and as far as I can tell, a band stops being underground when they become over-rated. :]

I think that the origin and point of view of a band is very important. A song about war from Cleveland and a song about war from Kabul are different right from the start.

If you're only interested in your local scene, why not discuss it down there?

I understand not having time and being lazy. Boy howdy do I ever. It doesn't take much time or effort to go down and make a couple of posts, though.

Well either way, I don't give a shit about any 'underground' or 'scene.' I whore the underground out to get music and then I leave it on the floor dying...at least I pay for what I take though.:D

I don't give a shit about any 'underground' or 'scene.'

You got that right. if it's what you like support it. if not don't. i'm not going to buy some shit simply because a few people tell me to or say this is the music of the future. there are plenty of good bands here in the USA by the way.
A song about war from Cleveland and a song about war from Kabul are different right from the start.
the location doesn't mean shit. it's the experiences that count. just because i live in South Carolina doesn't mean i don't know war and death. quit trying to run others down and try to be real instead of a fuckin' "i'm better than you are" poser

I dont see whats wrong with supporting the underground- and a little elitism. Yet, I really thinkk I am already listening to underground bands- at least in America they are- Im not going to go out of my way for some poorly recorded copy of a local band- when I can pick up a copy of a good underground band like Isis or Nevermore etc. No one outside of dedicated metal fans, even know who most of the bands are on this site that have forums- maybe they've heard of Iron Maiden, Testament, and Anthrax, but ask them who anathema or opeth are- and you will get blank stares- unless they are dedicated metal fans.

So, we are also all elitist by listening to the bands we do- if we werent elitists- and have some taste- all we would know of would be Disturbed, Deftones, Linkin Park, System of a Down etc.

The terms "elitist" and "elitism" are used per the following definitions:

elitist - adjective = Characteristic of the elite, and esp. not caring about the interests or values of ordinary people.

elitism = The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.
The sense of entitlement enjoyed by such a group or class. Control, rule, or domination by such a group or class.

I just know what I like. I don't feel superior because I listen to something that someone else has not heard. As examples I listen to Bukka White, Son House, and Tampa Red. Most People don't know them but it doesn't make me an elitist. I enjoy turning people on to music they don't know. If they like it, great! If not, no big deal.

metu said:
You know, damn near the bottom of this forum is a little area with a list of countries and regions. If you want to support the underground, that's where you should go.
I post there quite regularly. mostly on the general europe forum.
i even promote fests, even though i know it's useless cos i live in a small country where noone would come to when they have big germany and all their famous fests right above from here :lol:

@ all who "don't care about underground cos when they're good they will come far and become more recognized":
B U L L S H I T !! there's hundreds of bands out there who are great musicians and whose demos and regular albums do not sound at all unprofessional either, who are NOT known because simply the market is flooded with bands that are 80% boring and/or the 10th copy of the copy of some once good band.
i tend to understand these people, cos it is indeed time- and energy-taking to dig deeper, but i also know that it's a damn good feeling when you suddenly find a band that even tops your fave band by far, and you find: "hey, there's more bands that are far better than the big ones!"

I'm glad I have this urge to search and find, and I pity everyone who hasn't cos they miss a lot.
people, you eat exactly that what is offered to you! don't you want to arrange your own meal?

opacity said:
I post there quite regularly. mostly on the general europe forum.
i even promote fests, even though i know it's useless cos i live in a small country where noone would come to when they have big germany and all their famous fests right above from here :lol:

@ all who "don't care about underground cos when they're good they will come far and become more recognized":
B U L L S H I T !! there's hundreds of bands out there who are great musicians and whose demos and regular albums do not sound at all unprofessional either, who are NOT known because simply the market is flooded with bands that are 80% boring and/or the 10th copy of the copy of some once good band.
i tend to understand these people, cos it is indeed time- and energy-taking to dig deeper, but i also know that it's a damn good feeling when you suddenly find a band that even tops your fave band by far, and you find: "hey, there's more bands that are far better than the big ones!"

I'm glad I have this urge to search and find, and I pity everyone who hasn't cos they miss a lot.
people, you eat exactly that what is offered to you! don't you want to arrange your own meal?

I think you misunderstood what we (or at least I) have said. I don't give a shit about the scene as a whole, meaning I'm not going to go out of my way to promote it, etc., any further than buying their albums if I like the music. However, that does not mean that I'm not always looking for new bands. I also love finding new bands that 'are far better than the big ones,' but if they want to succeed in the business it will be mainly because of their talent, not me handing out flyers and pissing people off while I haggle them to listen to some band online. It takes time away from enjoying the music you're trying to support, anyway. Now, that's great that you decide to support these underground acts, but really, how much of a difference do you think you're making? Not much. Sure, you may get a few people to listen to it, but that's nothing amazing. Of course popularity breeds through word of mouth, but you could sell a piece of shit to someone and they'll listen to it, but it's all up to the band to sell someone on the music, not the supporters. I personally don't really care if any of the bands I listen to ever become successful as long as they continue to put out quality music. But now that I've made myself to sound like an asshole, I think I'll stop here.o_O