do you really care about the underground?

speed said:
I dont see whats wrong with supporting the underground- and a little elitism. Yet, I really thinkk I am already listening to underground bands- at least in America they are- Im not going to go out of my way for some poorly recorded copy of a local band- when I can pick up a copy of a good underground band like Isis or Nevermore etc. No one outside of dedicated metal fans, even know who most of the bands are on this site that have forums- maybe they've heard of Iron Maiden, Testament, and Anthrax, but ask them who anathema or opeth are- and you will get blank stares- unless they are dedicated metal fans.

So, we are also all elitist by listening to the bands we do- if we werent elitists- and have some taste- all we would know of would be Disturbed, Deftones, Linkin Park, System of a Down etc.

Speed, are saying that because I think Opeth and Anathema are not to my taste (read fucking mediocre) that I am not a true metal fan, and really, who gives a shit?

From the mid-80's to the early 90's the music I listened to wasn't "exactly" underground. Thrash was pretty big in the US and I enjoyed it. The US metal scene played itself out with the and bands like Pearl Jam and Nirvana moved into their place.
I really didn't care for that stuff, so I had to dig deeper into smaller markets to find music I like. Along comes, nu-meal and low-and-behold... I don't like it either, so still I dig into smaller markets to get the music I like. I don't really care about any "scene" I just like the music I like and somewhere there are bands playing that music. I will try to find them. It neither makes me an underground aficionado, nor an elitist, but rather an individual who knows what he likes and does whatever is necessary to get it.

Bryant

I didn't mean to piss people off. I'm just trying to get people to head down to a part of the forum with alot of potential and not much action.

Got your attention didn't I? ;}

I didn't say that Americans don't know what war is. I said it's a different point of view. To me, that matters alot. There's a US scene forum down there, too. Represent.

If you want to support individual bands, why not do it down there, too. Also, if you help their support groups, you help them achieve true success in the form of longevity. :]

Elitist? Well, I'm no Batman, but I'm no Destro, either. Just some dude sittin' at a computer. :]

wouldn't know in the first place what underground bands/fans have to do with elitism *shrugs*

those who listen to underground acts for reasons of reputation, I do not count as fans anyway

Right on. :]

Ok. I was going to just let this thread die. Maybe I should, but I'd like to speak my peace first.

The underground is worth supporting everywhere. In this sense, I agree that it doesn't matter from what country or region a band comes. Helping to spread the word about bands seems like a worthwhile thing to do. I'm mostly interested in discussing bands which, otherwise, would get no mention. I feel like it's a more efficient use of my time. I also like to help others with their research, when I can.

A good way to research underground acts is to research the scenes. It's not the only way, but it works quite well. It's very time consuming, though. This scenes section is a very valuable tool. It could be so much more valuable if there was more info.

There was a thread up here a little while ago about japanese metal. I think it went to a third page and was mostly people listing bands. I started a thread for japanese doom down in the scenes section and got no reply. I'm well aware that most of you know a lot more about metal than I. That's why it's so frustrating to see such an interesting and useful part of this forum go so widely ignored.

I'm interested in, and care about, different people and cultures around the world. I really don't see this as a problem. Hell, I think it's one of my better qualities. It's not that I don't love my own country... it's that I don't love just my own country. I'm interested in hearing and discussing metal from Thailand because I'm interested in Thailand. I'm particularly interested in how they mix metal with their own unique cultural herritage.

I think it's great that metal is so world-wide. I think it's great that this forum has so many people from so many different countries. I think that this diversity should be embraced, not ignored.

LuminousAether said:
Do I care about the underground?

Absolutely not.

I care about music, regardless of the notoriety. I think that scenesters are fucking gay and I hate that whole underground false superiority mentality.

Spoken like a true gentleman. I agree completely with you, actually.

Why should I care about the underground scene, when so many amazing bands are right in front of me waiting to be listened to. There is such a mind-boggling amount of variety, talent, all-around-kickin'-rad-ness in the modern metal scene today, I feel no desire to search out and support unknown bands.

I'm somewhat in agreement to the dude above.....I mean....why would most of these 'popular' extreme metal bands be popular if they weren't good? It's not like they're mainstream and making lots of money, so they must be popular because they kick ass and lots of metalheads just likem yeah?

Yeah, fair enough, I like most of it.....

Then again, i've been investigating into the more obscure underground in the last six months or so, and I can honestly say that i've already found a lot of bands that I find far more interesting than bands like Nile or Decapitated of what have you.

I don't really know what it all has to do with them being more underground, if anything at all, but I do think people should look into it regardless (becaause there's good stuff there that deserves recognition) and that people should not ignore it just because they don't like the falsely percieved 'superiority complex' undergrounders have....cummon, you sound like teeny boppers complaining about nu-metal when you talk like that.