Does A DI BoX In Front Of Yr. Interface Improve Quality?

Robert W

May 13, 2009
Something I've been wondering about, will you improve the quality of your DIs by going through a DI box then into an interface?

if it's a good DI box, yes. a bad one, no. if you have a decent interface the sound of the existing hi-z will more than suffice. if you have a bad interface, even the best DI box won't do the trick.

I'm using a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB atm, and was just wondering if I could squeeze a little more out of it if I threw a DI box in front of it.

What exactly does a do box do to ur DI's? I'm getting a country man and I have the FF800.

(sorry for posting in this thread, but it was relevant)

Technically, it´s the same as using the "instrument" input in your interface, which is like having a DI box, preamp and converter in one box. But, if your interface is not great quality, and your DI box is, then of course the sound quality (noise floor, clarity) will be better if you use the DI box. Won´t be much though, cause if your interface is bad you still have to go through a mic preamp and the converter.

I'm curious as well because I'd like to get a RayDat and Multiface and use my Eureka pre. But I'd have to use the line out on the pre to the RME's line in- I'm not sure how that would work correctly then if high impedance outs are xlr. I've been using a Firestudio instrument input.