Recording electric guitar / bass

RokitProd

Mar 3, 2015
Hey,

I have my typical small home studio, where my input for guitars, bass and vocals are straight into my Audio Kontrol 1 unit. My question is (and I've been searching around the web for a good answer to this question); will my DI guitar and bass tracks be of better quality if I purchase a DI box (say the Countryman 85 active DI box) and change my chain from guitar > audio interface to guitar > DI box > audio interface?

There seems to very different views on this matter from what I've read, but I get the impression that using a DI box will reduce the distortion and result in a cleaner, more "true to the instrument" signal. Can anyone with experience elaborate?

PS: I apologize if this has been asked and answered before in another thread.

The Countryman Type 85 gave my DI bass tracks the deep low end that I could not get from my Radial Pro DI. I use a UAD Apollo quad and the DI on it doesn't compare to the Countryman Type 85 for bass.

But for guitars, there was a very small amount of clarity but it wasn't that big of a deal.

There is a great DI comparison thread on here that made me want to buy the Countryman Type 85. Here is the link:
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/backline/969287-little-active-passive-di-comparison.html

All of this depends on the rest of the signal chain though.

Thanks man, that was exactly what I needed! I just put in an order for the Countryman :) Wish me luck!