hum with recording through audio interface

Luc4s

New Metal Member
Mar 2, 2012
Poland
I record my guitar directly through my interface (m-audio fast track II), clean sound is ok, but with hi gain i getting loud "electric" hum that is best heard in moments in which I don't play anything. Do I need di box with ground lift or something like that? My friend said that it should solve this problem, but he is not expert

Thanks for the replies, I've tried to record away from computer and putting noise gate, actually it works quite well. Today I noticed one more thing, when someone touches the metal parts of guitar, computer or interface hum disappears, even with high gain. Anyone know why this is happening?

Check your ground connection in the guitar.

I get noise anytime I use my Fast Track Pro without a noisegate. I just manually cut out the parts of the track where I'm not playing anything, since, even with the noise at minimal - it's still enough white noise to notice if one guitar drops out and the other doesnt.

If you're purely using sims, use the noise gate first. It has to work less with a clean di instead of raging amp sim white noise. Just my opinion.