Red Eye Hum

Jaymz

Stymphalian Productions
May 20, 2006
York
www.facebook.com
Right where I thought everything was dandy I hit a problem!

When im recording DI + Amp signal together I get a hum through the amp, the ground lift does nothing. However if im re-amping I get no ground noise it all, everything is perfect.

Second I put the instrument thru in + mic level out...hmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Any ideas? I really need to get this fixed tonight :cry:

Ive got a feeling its something to do with "balanced cables"...basically ive just been runing a guitar lead from the guitar to the Red Eye *obv* and another guitar lead from the instrument thru into the amp.

Perhaps the problem lies somewhere in there?

Its just weird I can track DI's and Reamp no problem but once I use both the thru and mic level out it produces noise.

Yeah dude, it's just adding in the amp and the extra cabling/connections that's creating the loop; thank your lucky stars it's not there when re-amping, but your only solution is to either monitor your DI's using ampsims (rather than using the inst thru to the amp) or get yourself an isolation transformer (ART DTI for example). Either that, or shutting off something powered that's connected to the computer (external HDD, printer, etc.) sometimes helps

Yeah dude, it's just adding in the amp and the extra cabling/connections that's creating the loop; thank your lucky stars it's not there when re-amping, but your only solution is to either monitor your DI's using ampsims (rather than using the inst thru to the amp) or get yourself an isolation transformer (ART DTI for example). Either that, or shutting off something powered that's connected to the computer (external HDD, printer, etc.) sometimes helps

Ah I see, well the amp sim thing is a no no simply because I deserve to use this how I would want to use it so I guess the isolation transformer is the only way. Ive tried changing cables and moving stuff around the room and it makes no difference.

What about the Behringer hum box?

dude i have a similar issue with my DI box, when the ground lift is in one position, the thru to the amp is clean and no hum, but the DI signal has hum, and if i flick the switch the amp will have noise but the DI wont, its annoying!

ill have to get the ole behringer hum box out agen, but it sucked alot of my higher freqs up!

dude i have a similar issue with my DI box, when the ground lift is in one position, the thru to the amp is clean and no hum, but the DI signal has hum, and if i flick the switch the amp will have noise but the DI wont, its annoying!

ill have to get the ole behringer hum box out agen, but it sucked alot of my higher freqs up!

Its homosexual, I have no issues at all with recording DI's or re-amping DI's totally silent....but the second I connect the "thru" and the "mic level out" the amp kicks out the hum!

Ahh im having no tone sucking, maybe the ART is the way to go....fecking hell another £30 :heh:

yep its exactly what mine does dude, once the other cable is connected, i should really find out whats causing it, but i cant be bothered to unplug my whole room and house!!!

Haha yeah, neither can I tbh. But a hum box will sort it out right?

Least I know the RE isnt faulty!

Just checked mine. Indeed, I get some hum when mic level out and inst thru are connected and you are set to DI mode. It's not huge hum though. In fact, I didn't even notice it until I read this thread and specifically tested for it.

The hum doesn't get in in the recorded DI does it?

Nah the DI is clean but the hum has my first LED on my Focusrite constantly lit which means its a bit much for my liking. Which would also suggest id be forced to reamp everything I did even if the original tone was slammin'! :(

Yeah, that should be good dude, and I don't think it'll suck tone - I've never tried any of them, so don't take this as gospel, but if you wanted to be sure you'd have no tone sucking, the Ebtech Hum Eliminator is definitely the safest bet; then again, ART has a good reputation for value and I've read good reviews about the DTI, but if the Ebtech isn't much more money I'd go for that to be safe! (my mentality with most gear purchases :D)

EDIT: Here it is at Thomann for 66 quid; since the pound is worth more than the dollar, I'd say it's not worth it unless you can find it for a better price, but I know if the difference was $30 US I'd go for it!

Yeah nearly £70 is a bit out of my price range since buying the Red Eye itself! I think ill bite the bullet on one of those ART's though, half the price of that Ebtech. Not sure which is better the Cleanbox II or the DTI :\ hmmm

Well the DTI has more options (XLR inputs), so I'd go for that in case you have another ground loop rear its head somewhere else! (and it's only like 5 quid more I think)

Yeah Little Labs have responded to my email, stating "its difficult not being there..." well yes....but yeah ground loop it is. ART DTI ordered :)

Just to close this thread, the DTI arrived this morning, plugged it in and its knocked the noise off by a good 65-75% so all is well! Thanks to all! :)