Does anyone actually plan on buying Doom 3?

TrevJ

May 2, 2001
Ottawa
I'm curious because while I'm sure it'll make for a great single player experience, there seems to be very little replay value as a result of the very basic multiplayer options. It seems like one of those games you play through once and then never really play again, and it's a lot of money for such a short lived experience.

I'll download Doom 3, I'm getting HL2 free with a voucher from my graphics card, and I'll buy R:TW. That pretty much sums up my game acquisitions over the next year.

Another issue I'm concerned with is just how well I'll be able to run the game with my increasingly outdated system. The [H]ardOCP Doom 3 hardware guide seems to indicate that the game runs quite well even on low end systems, but their benchmarks for the system that's closest to mine (but better) show an average of 49 FPS at 1024x768 on medium quality. It's hard to say how it'd run for me, and if it's not going to be mostly smooth while looking relatively good, I don't want to waste my money.

I'm not sure.. I'm concerned about how it's going to run on my system (2.96 Ghz Pentium 4, 1 GB PC3200 RAM, Radeon 9800 Pro overclocked to 411/353) too. The demo is supposed to be out in the middle of August, so I'll probably check that out before I decide to buy the game.

Firedwarf said:
I'm not sure.. I'm concerned about how it's going to run on my system (2.96 Ghz Pentium 4, 1 GB PC3200 RAM, Radeon 9800 Pro overclocked to 411/353) too. The demo is supposed to be out in the middle of August, so I'll probably check that out before I decide to buy the game.

Demo out in the middle of August? They release the actual game in three days in the US :|

To PC gamers, Hollenshead's biggest revelation was that a demo for Doom 3 is already in the works. "Our priority was finishing the game first and now we are turning our attention to the demo," he said. "We will release the demo as soon as it's done, but this probably won't happen until after the game has arrived on US store shelves." Hollenshead did not specify what content the demo would feature. GameSpot DLX users can reserve the demo today for automatic delivery when it finally arrives.

2.0 ghz
512 MB ram
FX5200

It runs pretty well.
It goes choppy when I open doors and when there is alot of enemies but that is because I have a crappy video card but other then that it runs smooth.
I love the creepy feeling the game has.
Very dark and cool sounds.

I'm downloading it at a fairly crappy pace, have been since yesterday. Should place well since I have a Barton 2500, 1024mb RAM and a 9800 Pro :)