As the self-styled biggest Agalloch fan on the board I have to ask...

Erik

New Metal Member
Oct 10, 2001
southernmost voyage
...WHAT THE FUCK ARE THEY DOING?

Just recently listened to the Agalloch/Nest split 10", and eh... Recycled The Mantle riffs with random acoustic leads, no vocals or anything... I'm severely disappointed -- and this after the "Tomorrow Will Never Come" 7", which had a pointless A-side and, well, a pretty good B-side, I'll give them that... Then there's "The Grey EP" which I think has enjoyed a total of 1 play from beginning to end in my player. It just seems like after being totally solid from "From Which of this Oak" through "The Mantle", they've released three consecutive releases with lots of recycling and fucking around and little completely new material or replay value... At this rate, I'm (honestly) saddened to say that I don't have high hopes for the next full-length. Then again, maybe then they will stop recycling parts of The Mantle. Anyone agree?

Now the Nest side, on the other hand, is pretty brilliant, and Haughm's and Anderson's contributions are truly great as well...

I predict the next Agalloch will rival Especially Likely Sloth in terms of weirdness.

I was joking. :loco:

I haven't listened to the Grey EP or Tomorrow Never Comes and I didn't pick up the Nest split, but I am curious to what the new full length might bring given that one highly mysterious track from the Phases sampler last year. They do seem to be having a bit o' fun right now, maybe they're getting it out of their system before sitting down to continue where the Mantle left off.

Adrian said:
I am curious to what the new full length might bring given that one highly mysterious track from the Phases sampler last year. They do seem to be having a bit o' fun right now, maybe they're getting it out of their system
I think this is accurate. Based on what I heard (from pretty reliable sources), everything between The Mantle and the next full release will serve no other purpose than to throw the listener off at a tangent.

That said, bear in mind that The Mantle was indeed a *slight* step down from Pale Folklore, and the demo is excellent, so...

I wouldn't know, as my Agalloch/Nest split STILL HAS NOT FUCKING SHOWED UP! FUCK YOU THE END!

Now that that's out of my system, The Grey EP sucked rhino dick. I haven't listened to my Tomorrow Will Never Come 7". But i agree with Erik, the band needs to quick dicking around with these pointless releases.

EDIT: If the band wants to release EPs, fine, just as long as they are of the quality of Of Stone, Wind, and Pillor.

Erik said:
No, because I'm not selling shit on jewBay for more than it should cost. I'll leave that to those of you who buy two or three copies for that very purpose.
I know you 'aint aiming that comment at me. And that's not what I was referring to anyhow. Having a spare copy of something rare will pull in a good trade. That still makes it a worthwhile investment.

Actually, I agree, although you never truly the know the future value of something when you buy it. However, I bought a second copy of the Nest split because lots of people here were concerned that they might not have the money to buy one before they all sold out. So if anyone here really wanted a copy, I have a spare. But if nobody ends up needing it, then I would one day trade it for something equally cool.

I hope in a few months when I really want the Nest split I'll remember JayKeeley has an extra copy. :loco:

I don't really worry often if an EP sucks from one of my favorite bands since the only bands to put out decent EPs are Ulver and Alice in Chains.

I think that Agalloch is using all of these EPs as some sort of transition into whatever their next phase will be, I predict the next-full length will take their fascinations with one of neo-folk, post-rock, and dark ambient (or likely all three) into greater extremes...

Erik said:
...WHAT THE FUCK ARE THEY DOING?

Just recently listened to the Agalloch/Nest split 10", and eh... Recycled The Mantle riffs with random acoustic leads, no vocals or anything... I'm severely disappointed -- and this after the "Tomorrow Will Never Come" 7", which had a pointless A-side and, well, a pretty good B-side, I'll give them that... Then there's "The Grey EP" which I think has enjoyed a total of 1 play from beginning to end in my player. It just seems like after being totally solid from "From Which of this Oak" through "The Mantle", they've released three consecutive releases with lots of recycling and fucking around and little completely new material or replay value... At this rate, I'm (honestly) saddened to say that I don't have high hopes for the next full-length. Then again, maybe then they will stop recycling parts of The Mantle. Anyone agree?

Now the Nest side, on the other hand, is pretty brilliant, and Haughm's and Anderson's contributions are truly great as well...
Actually "The Wolves Of Timberline" sounds to me like it's based from the intro to "Dead Winter Days" which is on "Pale Folklore". I think it's cool that they are experimenting with different styles and putting out smaller releases instead of putting it all on some crappy "rarities" CD. If nothing else it gives their rabid collectors something to drool over until they put out a new album (whaenever the hell that will be).

yeah, but three of these releases in a row makes the band look greedy. I'm sure that's not the case, but it's hard to ignore.

Passing Bird said:
Actually "The Wolves Of Timberline" sounds to me like it's based from the intro to "Dead Winter Days" which is on "Pale Folklore". I think it's cool that they are experimenting with different styles and putting out smaller releases instead of putting it all on some crappy "rarities" CD. If nothing else it gives their rabid collectors something to drool over until they put out a new album (whaenever the hell that will be).
I feel stupid now... You're right of course, except that it's more the outro to "Hallways..." than the intro to DWD. My point about recycling still holds.

Tranquillian: Perhaps I will if I can be bothered to, it's a bit of a nuisance to fuck around with the cables and stuff... 699.- on Clas Ohlsson will get you a perfectly servicable record player :p

No matter, see, the one I'm talking about has a built-in RCA amplifier, so you just hook it up to a regular line input. That's a bit of a problem in my case because my receiver DOES have a phono input, which is rendered useless in my case... Oh well.

I like the Lodge(Dismantled) quite abit, and Tomorrow Never Comes song. But indeed the latest offering was just rehashed stuff. I'm quite excited for the new album though, I know it'll be good.

I listened to the Grey EP twice last night, I thought it ruled. It's like the first half is typical Agalloch and then second half is manipulated noise, which is especially cool because The Lodge (dismanted) fades into noise around the 9 minute mark and then Odal (Nothing Remix) just picks up where it ends.

I need to finally listen to Tomorrow Never Comes it seems. :loco: