does anyone here do martial arts or

Martial arts is fairly metal. Learning how to use a sword or something would be much more so.

As for martial arts, I'm a yellow belt in karate. HI-YA

I do a freestyle martial art called Bukido Kai. It's very intense fitness wise. Lots of running around, bag work, push ups, all sorts of exercises designed to cause much pain physically. As not fun as that sounds I love it. This year I'll be doing a grading that goes for 4 days (did the same thing last year as well). Camping out, 3-4 hours sleep every night, train hard all day/night long. It's not unlike a booty camp... only worse. There's a particular massive fucking tire and it's friend massive chain who likes me lugging it around the place (it's especially fun through sand and deep water).

And the self defence stuff is actually practical. No silly complicated fancy shit.

that does sound pretty badass :kickass:

have you ever done martial arts, or are you considering it? This is kind of a random question but I'm just curious. I want to start taking some classes in either muay thai or some form of kung fu because I need some exercise and I want to learn how to be a real asskicker. Plus I think being able to do martial arts is kind of metal.

I took Karate (Shoto-kan) and stopped it because I was getting into school. Maybe I will start again. Don't get me wrong. I'm no Bruce Lee and the class wasn't that tough or difficult but yeah at least it was some excercise. I went up to blue belt, so I might take it again when I am finished school. This reminds me, I know a Japanese friend who used to take Kendo (Japanese swordsmanship) for a long time and went to high levels. It's the one where they wear armor and use those bamboo sticks. He told me, even with the armor on it still hurts. He's taking Shorinji Kenpo now.

You want to start again Murai? Thats fine. I'll teach you by kicking your ass till you either figure out ways around it or need an ambulance. Thats how I learned Spetsnasz. Frankly it weeds out the weaklings that can't handle real fighting. Unfortunately for you, your in canada. Belts mean nothing. The spirit of the fighter and their physical fitness is all that is relevant. I can however tell you about the physical training regimen I went through. Which might actually help you. If I gave a shit. :headbang: :heh:

Shotokan karate is simple, handy, and (relatively) practical; I would recommend it. Make sure you end up with a sensei who knows his stuff, though. It's worth looking around until you find one.

I used to take Taekwondo when I was younger if that counts.

I made it to a first degree black belt before I had to quit due to my mom getting a new job.

You want to start again Murai? Thats fine. I'll teach you by kicking your ass till you either figure out ways around it or need an ambulance. Thats how I learned Spetsnasz. Frankly it weeds out the weaklings that can't handle real fighting. Unfortunately for you, your in canada. Belts mean nothing. The spirit of the fighter and their physical fitness is all that is relevant. I can however tell you about the physical training regimen I went through. Which might actually help you. If I gave a shit. :headbang: :heh:

:headbang: Yeah man, totally. I'd love to take an internet martial arts challenge.

Yeah, but we're talking about ogrinder here. Besides most people I talk to who say that don't know one thing about the given style.

Yeah, but we're talking about ogrinder here.

That's a good point, but I think he may have been telling the truth. I mean, he usually blames things on being persecuted somehow. For example: "I had a black belt, but I was forced out the program by ignorant hate mongers because I'm 5'6'' and like grindcore" .

Actually most times you have to actually earn your belt.

It really depends on the school. He probably trained at an after school program at the YMCA where you would get a new belt every 4 months for doing simple calisthenics. Schools that give black belts to children are on the low end of the martial arts spectrum. A black belt is a symbol of many years of training, and is essentially a license to teach, not an award to be given to someone for going through the motions.

It really depends on the school. He probably trained at an after school program at the YMCA where you would get a new belt every 4 months for doing simple calisthenics. I myself trained for two years at Gordon Doversola's school in Los Angeles, where I learned some very useful techniques that I'm waiting to put in to practice if the moment ever arises.

Maybe. It took me some 12 years to even get to brown 1st class in Kempo. I had a really tough instructor, but it was fun.

It took my instructor 11 years to reach 2nd Brown. That is why it is so ridiculous to see 11 year olds wearing brown and black belts as if they know multiple katas with any sort of proficiency and have the techniques perfected to defend themselves at the level of that of a brown/black.