Does anyone use I Tunes?

Det Som Engang Var

Viking Bastard
Jun 3, 2005
Houston, TX
You know how you have to keep the songs you have on I-Tunes backed somewhere on your computer? Let's say for example all the metal I have on my itunes is also in a folder labled "metal" on my desktop from when I used Winamp.

Now if I delete the song from that metal folder, it can't be found on my I Tunes. Isn't there a way to change this so I can just keep what I have on I tunes and delete everything else?

Thank ye'.

I re-read your post twice and I can't quite get what you mean, I am an itunes vet though so I can help you lemme take another crack at it.

EDIT: So you want to somehow delete all the songs that AREN'T on your itunes from your pc?

Like for example, let's say I have a Nevermore album in my metal folder. I have that album on my itunes now, so I want to delete it from the folder on my desktop called metal. But Itunes is used to it being located there, so then when I try to play the song on Itunes it can't find it.

I just want to keep what I have on I tunes and delete everything else.

Well you can't because iTunes just 'holds' the songs, and re-encodes them when you add them to make them able to sync with your iPod. The songs have to be on your pc at all times. All that happens when you add songs to itunes is it creates a bunch of data used to sync it to your iPod. So if you added the Nevermore CD to iTunes, then deleted it from where it was located on the desktop, iTunes won't be able to play it. Even if you just moved the CD, you'd need to re-locate or just re-add and delete the greyed out files.

Well you can't because iTunes just 'holds' the songs, and re-encodes them when you add them to make them able to sync with your iPod. The songs have to be on your pc at all times. All that happens when you add songs to itunes is it creates a bunch of data used to sync it to your iPod. So if you added the Nevermore CD to iTunes, then deleted it from where it was located on the desktop, iTunes won't be able to play it. Even if you just moved the CD, you'd need to re-locate or just re-add and delete the greyed out files.

Damn man I was hoping that wasn't the case. Ah well, thanks.