The Computer thread.

E-bortion

Omae wa mo shindeiru
Dec 23, 2004
So, even if there's a "computer" thread about purchasing, comparing, reviewing machines/software, etc. around here somewhere, I think there should be one dedicated to tricks/troubleshooting, OSes, networking, and IT in general. For example, if you have a computer problem, post here and see if one of us techies can't help. If there's a cool open-source program that people might be interested in, post it here! I'll start out with something neat.

For those of you who use Windows 7 (this could be old news to some of you.) Have you heard of God Mode? If not, follow these simple steps:

1. Create a New Folder
2. Rename the folder "GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}"
(include quotation marks)
3.????
4. Profit!

Keep it goin guys.

this could be old news to some of you.
:)

In reality, "God Mode" (you can name that folder anything, just replace the words "God Mode" with whatever your heart desires) is just a centralized location to find all the adjustable options for your computer. It's like an extended Control Panel. It's definitely a handy tool for sure, but I think the term "God Mode" is a little overboard considering the context of the functionality.

Computers are rad and Windows 7 is surprisingly great. I especially like how efficiently it sorts open windows on based it's program in your taskbar.

I'm thinking about grabbing an old desktop from work that no one uses anymore and bringing it home as a Linux based VM. I've never played with Linux before and it's due time. Any Linux gurus up in this bitch?

I think the term "God Mode" was used in jest, as it was more of a useful easter egg than anything. Also, what would you do with a linux-based VM on a SOHO, aside from practicing learning how to talk between machines/OSes?

*edit*

On second though, it's an invaluable skill to have. I'd snatch up Oracle's VB if I were you Kevin

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

is windows 7 far better than vista? i don't like that vista had so much shit i had to over time turn off and fix and how it eats up so many resources (which fucks with my gaming). the next computer i get will be exclusively for gaming so will 7 be better in terms of that in not eating up a shitload of resources and bothering the hell out of me?

Win7 is waaaay better, in pretty much every way. The UAC is still there, but that can be turned off. Otherwise, they pretty much removed all the shitty parts of Vista and added a bunch of nice new interface features.

Yeah Win7 is certainly worthy. Fast, reliable, and pretty looking. I wish I had it at home. It sucks to work on Win7 machines all day at work and then come home to lame ol XP (which I like more than Vista, for sure).

Agreed with the above posts. Windows 7 is great in almost every aspect. I beta tested the 7000 build before its release and it was more stable then Vista ever will be.

All I can do is agree with every bit of the last few posts. Win7 is solid, fast, and pretty.