The thread where you talk about non-metal music you like.

@TechnicalBarbarity , @CiG ....needed a boost today

jean-claude-van-damme-jcvd.gif

"Where Peasant and 2020 dealt with the past and present, The Ruby Cord is set in a future, a dystopian world finding its feet after a complete societal collapse. Dawson’s new world is part pagan folk horror, part glitch-ridden sci-fi. The very fabric of life seems to have taken on a hallucinatory warp, something that Dawson makes expressly clear in the sheer unadulterated strangeness of the album’s opening track, The Hermit. All forty-one minutes of it. The length alone gives you some clue that this is the most frighteningly ambitious thing he has ever tried. But go beyond the daunting numbers, and you will find a song that is haunting, beautiful and earthy. It is like Richard Jefferies’ proto-sci-fi novel After London, reimagined by Northumberland modernist poet Basil Bunting. The level of detail, the affinity with the natural world and the almost preposterous juxtapositions mark Dawson’s poetic voice out as something utterly unique. It’s impossible to explain exactly what goes on in the song in the space of an album review, but it is worth noting that the song is haunted by a godly Ada (presumably Ada Lovelace) and her slippers, as well as the future and past lives of fungi, a medieval knight/robot hybrid and an astonishing array of animal and bird life."

out tomorrow!

Reactions: CiG
My top 10 non-metal records of 2022:

a3200184157_10.jpg
1. Outerwear - The Outerwear Limits
Scratchy janky nihilistic noise rock/post-punk from Ohio. This was a Spike in Vain side project recorded back in 1984 but not released until now I guess. Basically sounds like SiV but more bored and morbid, with less quality control. Raw and sarcastic.

a0431154982_10.jpg
2. 100 Story Building Drowning in Cum - Elderly Juvenile Delinquents on Parade
Basically the continuation of legendary sardonic punks Sockeye, just under a different name. I've obviously never visited Cleveland but the place seems to produce a lot of bands like this. Devo, The Electric Eels, The Pagans, Spike in Vain/Outerwear etc. Unserious nonsensical cynical asshole music that seems to only exist to piss people off.

a2722868456_10.jpg
3. The Chats - Get Fucked
Distinctly Aussie garage rock with hardcore punk energy. Pretty sure they call their music "shed rock" which makes perfect sense! Catchy as shit.

Untitled.jpg
4. L.O.T.I.O.N. Multinational Corporation - W.A.R. in the Digital Realm
20 minutes of heavy thumping groovy riffed industrial rocking digital hardcore that oozes with 80's imagery of post-apocalyptic warrior punks, dystopian stripclubs and robotic wasteland gangsters! So heavy it almost verges on metal at times. Nuclear mutant danceclub music.

placebo.jpg
5. Placebo - Never Let Me Go
Feels a lot more like the Placebo I know than their last album. At times it's like Sleeping with Ghosts part 2 or something. Intensely nostalgic sound.

a1515737641_10.jpg
6. The Mutants - Curse of the Easily Amused
Another fucking great archival release. Cult San Fran new wave/post-punk band loaded with garage rock and jangle pop qualities. This is a bunch of never-released versions of songs released elsewhere, plus like 6 never (ever) released tunes. Better than their sole studio album! Pretty sure the tracks are from the early 80's.

a0964058071_10.jpg
7. Beach House - Once Twice Melody
80 odd minutes is fucking excessive but this album is so damn good, especially when it peaks at certain moments, that I can't complain too much. Very lush and feelsy, a true pop epic. It's like pure candy euphoria.

jethro.jpg
8. Jethro Tull - The Zealot Gene
Wild to consider how consistent J.T. are. Almost 60 years later and they're still creating such playfully odd and interesting prog music. This album is lyrically like a snapshot of the 2020's in all its absurdity and idiocy. A very poignant record that may divide fans, which I love.

a3173656627_10.jpg
9. Garden of Worm - Endless Garden
I don't know how a Finnish doom metal band managed to reinvent themselves into a late 60's style acid rock band, but I'm here for it!

a2675884766_10.jpg
10. The Serfs - Primal Matter
More awesome music from Ohio. A minimalistic cold-wave trio that sounds very authentically early 80's to me. Only reason it isn't higher is because if you're not in the right mood it feels a bit repetitive by the end. Luckily it's only about 29 minutes long. But still an incredible release with a lot of niche elements while remaining catchy as hell.

Fuck knows when/if I'll ever listen to that new Richard Dawson album. 81 fucking minutes long.

81 minutes isn't that long :lol: the first track can be taken as a separate record anyway tbh, they work fine independently from each other.

i used to date a girl who was friends with beach house circa the release of teen dream and we'd get high listening to them, i never met them though. seemed like they just kept making the same album over and over after that, might check out the new one though. i'm interested in most of this list actually!

Reactions: CiG
81 minutes isn't that long :lol: the first track can be taken as a separate record anyway tbh, they work fine independently from each other.
This is true, I'm just going through a short attention span phase right now. Too much grindcore in my diet. I've listened to that first 40 minute track like 3 times so far, and always give up after that.

i used to date a girl who was friends with beach house circa the release of teen dream and we'd get high listening to them, i never met them though. seemed like they just kept making the same album over and over after that, might check out the new one though. i'm interested in most of this list actually!
What're you living in, a Gregg Araki movie?