Thought about the "talk about the music you like" thread

Ideally, the thread has a purpose distinct from the Recommendations thread. If I want specific advice relating to a particular band or genre, only that should go in the Recommendations thread and nothing more. But if I want to say "who likes Deathspell Omega?" or "what happened to Sacrifice?" or "is Rob Darken homosexual?" or posting videos or pics of bands then they are single or one response posts which don't fit into the Recommendations thread nor do they merit a new thread. These sorts of posts should be going into the thread. On the other hand, a large thread like that is not really as suitable for single responses as it is for continuous flowing discussion into which it has currently morphed. I don't consider that a bad thing however. Difficult situation.

I think I should probably moderate it more to get rid of off-topic discussion; as a reciprocal, off-topic discussion should be leniently tolerated in other, non-sticky, single band/album threads as long as there is some substance.

Yeah and we already have 3 off-topic threads. That thread must stay metal or else this forum risks turning into an anything-goes chat-room.

To tell the truth those stickied threads are the only ones I check regularly. I occasionally glance down at the topics but they are usually lame, so I stick with the (also often lame) social banter in the stickies.

Too many conversations never get the attention they deserve because the thread moves too fast.

This is true though.

I meant that infrequency in reading the thread can lead to your getting discouraged when you go to the thread with seven unread pages.

To tell the truth those stickied threads are the only ones I check regularly. I occasionally glance down at the topics but they are usually lame, so I stick with the (also often lame) social banter in the stickies.

This is true though.

Yeah, see, I think the stickied thread is the problem. For the most part pretty much all of us just stick to the stickied threads because they tend to encompass the vast majority of worthwhile threads that would otherwise take place, so the threads of quality substance just sink into the folds of the stickied threads. Hopefully with people aware that they are encouraged to make individual threads, this forum could get more interesting to read.

I was getting ready to make a post and couldn't decide whether to put it in the main forum, or in the thread "talk about the music you like" - and it occured to me, isn't that the whole purpose of the "General Metal Forum" anyhow; to talk about Metal bands we like (for the most part)?

I'd like to get thoughts on this from you all.

dude, exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!