Thought about the "talk about the music you like" thread

The problem with that is - and I know VVVVV disagrees with me here - pretty much anything could end up spawning meaningful discussion. The issue at hand is how much control you want to take in allowing us to choose what we want to discuss ourselves.

Spot on, locking threads because there isn't enough decent discussion in them is just dumb, who knows how long a thread will take to catch on or where it will go.

I find "The thread where you talk about music you like" and "recommendation thread" pretty similar in some ways. I think deleting the first one wouldn't be the worst thing that could be ever happened to GMD, but still - deleting it is not necessary at all, as it doesn't actually bring any problems and isn't something that doesn't belong to this forum.

I find the Talk About Music You Like thread pretty useful to just say 'I like band X, any other fans?', since I'm always interested to see other metal fans views on certain bands. It's really not worth making a new thread for stuff like that, but if somebody has a more interesting question about a band, or wants to talk about a new album or summat, it doesn't bother me.
I suppose I could summarise this entire post by just saying - I like it, but I don't mind individual threads for bands.

I completely agree with Demilich and Necro Joe. Some of the best discussions on forums have had nothing to do with the original topic, in fact.

I do agree on the one liner posts, that thread is good for that.

Yep.

The 'I'm going to lock this soon if you guys don't start talking about metal' attitude isn't exactly making this a better forum either. GMD is a commuinty of people that don't assemble anywhere else so saying 'take it to the proper forum' isn't keeping the forums tidy it is just killing the discussion dead. I'm not advocating non-metal topics being allowed but within threads (that aren't being deliberately derailed) there should be some freedom to talk about whatever talking about metal leads on to. This already happens in the threads 5V doesn't dare lock and it hasn't affected them much because posters regulate them on their own.

That thread has helped keep down a lot of spam in the months its been operational. I use it often after I buy an album and listen to it so I can voice my praise or opinion of it. The thread should remain, and so should the status quo. People will post threads about bands and albums, and we have a moderator who can fairly judge if the threads can generate good dicussion.

Separate threads on single bands should remain if they serve their purpose and fade away in peace.

I think the "Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like" has fulfilled its purpose, as at the time that it was created it performed a certain function, but now we are past that, and I think it's time to let it go or give it less priority. To be honest, if you want to make a post just like "I really like Bathory - Hammerheart," that can just as easily go in the Recommendation Thread. Of course I realize that this would pollute the Recommendation Thread with a crockload of inane posts, so I suppose that it would be best to save the Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like for one-liners, but it's absolutely time to step away from it.

considering there are two pages of talking about coffee and soda i don't regularly browse that thread...i look in the rec. thread to find music and the thread where you talk about music you like should stay and not be locked because if it is taken away for being repetitive due to the forum itself, then we will just have a million band threads and all other threads will be left to die and be buried on the second page of threads while we sort through pointless threads

also the thread is a way to keep the noob population at bay because if they post something stupid in there it doesn't screw up the discussion because there is no discussion in there...the only thing is that in the twytamyl (<-- that is a cool word) thread people post things like [insert band here] is kicking my ass right now - i'm not going to deny that i'm guilty of this - then they post no followups afterwards and leave the thread alone.

I still think that a lot of the discussions that come up in that thread should be taken up in its own thread.

I disagree. That thread gives people more freedom to post what they feel, when they are afraid that making a separate thread might bring negative reactions.

I don't care. Too many conversations never get the attention they deserve because the thread moves too fast. If people are afraid to make a thread about it, they can still just post in the big stupid thread. That doesn't mean other threads that actually merit worthy discussion shouldn't be allowed.

The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like is unnecessary because that's basically saying any thread in the entire forum can be merged into it. However I still think we should keep it but just not rely on it as much. If there is a topic that is too small to be made into a large discussion then that should be in TTWYTAMYL.

I don't care. Too many conversations never get the attention they deserve because the thread moves too fast. If people are afraid to make a thread about it, they can still just post in the big stupid thread. That doesn't mean other threads that actually merit worthy discussion shouldn't be allowed.

Exactly

Let's have a loose policy from here on and see how it goes.

If you have something you feel is worth making a new thread for then do so. If it seems pretty basic and non-conversation generating, myself or V5 will just merge it into the existing thread.