Thought about the "talk about the music you like" thread

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
I was getting ready to make a post and couldn't decide whether to put it in the main forum, or in the thread "talk about the music you like" - and it occured to me, isn't that the whole purpose of the "General Metal Forum" anyhow; to talk about Metal bands we like (for the most part)?

I'd like to get thoughts on this from you all.

I totally hate that thread and never bother looking in it because it is so long and I find it frustrating to navigate and not worth the time. I'd much prefer to have threads about individual bands so we can talk about them.

So thats my 2 cents right there! I hope we get to make threads about bands on the General Metal Discussion forum, because what meets the criteria of general metal discussion than posting threads about metal bands that you like?

I don't look there neither. The thread you mentioned is like a big set of other thread created here.

I totally hate that thread and never bother looking in it because it is so long and I find it frustrating to navigate and not worth the time. I'd much prefer to have threads about individual bands so we can talk about them.

So thats my 2 cents right there! I hope we get to make threads about bands on the General Metal Discussion forum, because what meets the criteria of general metal discussion than posting threads about metal bands that you like?

Same here really. If I really want to talk about a band, I make a new thread.

I decide whether or not to post on the thread or a new thread about a band based the depth of my interest on the band. If it's a general statement go to the thread for music you like. If it is a specific well knowledged statement of a band=thread. Pretty simple.

Nah, I'm with unknown on this. It's more organized the way it is right now, imo
Rather than browsing through or creating a multitude of band/album-specific threads, it's more convenient to just post there.

Both ideas are fine. That thread is basically to just namedrop, though. If you want to make a thread about a band/album, make sure you evoke some discussion.

Right. If what you have to say will actually spawn a serious discussion, then by all means go right ahead and make a new thread (or at least search first to see if it's already been done)

The whole reason the "talk about the music you like" thread was created was because too many people were clogging up the front page with useless "I LIKE CoB!!1" posts and things of that sort

i think it has its place, as others have mentioned, for passing comments about bands, but more substantial discussion should have its own thread

The problem with that is - and I know VVVVV disagrees with me here - pretty much anything could end up spawning meaningful discussion. The issue at hand is how much control you want to take in allowing us to choose what we want to discuss ourselves.

And as for that thread being just for dropping by to say "fuck yeah maiden rules!! :kickass:" then why have so many serious discussions about bands been moved there in the past?

It's good for when you want to mention a band, but don't have enough to say to warrant making a whole new thread. The Recommendations Thread is definitely a good idea. Think about how many threads in general are answered by listing bands.