Does anyone...

affinityband said:
theres a really good ska band round my area called waffle, even though i dont like the music, they are very good at what they do.
tho that girl who continues to be smacked in the face by tom doesnt like them

I actually really like Reel Big Fish they make great feel good songs. They have a great song called 'Beer'. Good drinking music.

FUBAR said:
I actually really like Reel Big Fish they make great feel good songs. They have a great song called 'Beer'. Good drinking music.
what they are the shittest band ever!

FUBAR said:

I was just listening to them, which inspired me to start the thread. I dont care what anyone says, theyre really good songwriters. Their album "why do they rock so hard?" is a fantastic album with amazing production value. I figure most people on a metal band forum wouldn't like ska, but i like it and its worth the chance to see who else digs it as well.

Powers said:
Punk with Trumpets. Some of it's really good, some of it's shite, same as eveything.

It really has nothing to do with punk in any way. There are ska-core bands that perhaps relate to punk, and im sure a lot of ska musicians like punk, but ska itself is unrelated to punk music. Ska draws its roots from reggae music, and is mainly a more up-beat version of reggae. Its not really guitar driven at all, relies mainly on a bass groove and horns for melody. I think ska suffers from a lot of misconceptions. Popular ska bands are usually bullshit bands, just like any other genre. People shit on slipknot, as i lay dying, and other kinds of bands, saying they arent really metal. Well its the same thing with ska. Old no doubt is bullshit, and the bosstones arent really a great representation either. These bands are fairly old, but i think they are what people associate with ska anyways.

I find ska extremely annoying too. Not to say that the musicians can't be talented or good song writers, just not my thing.