Does firewire 400 limit ASIO?

tastethepoison

New Metal Member
Feb 15, 2010
Would there be a difference in the asio meter on a DAW from using firewire 400 as opposed to 800 for an audio interface?

My asio meter maxes out when using a few amplitube pug ins, would this be different if my interface had firewire 800 instead of 400?

I assume you're using an ASIO metering app to measure the performance. Most probably a driver problem I'd say.

Firewire 400 is more than enough to handle a gazillion plugins.

Maybe I'm being naive, but how do the interface and the plugin usage have anything to do with each other? They seem (and have been IME) mutually exclusive.

I agree it sounds strange but I have noticed that on my RME Multiface I can run more plugins at lower buffer sizes than on my Echo interface at the same buffer size.

More or less, not all interface drivers are written equally - some can, do, and will allow you to achieve lower latencies than others. RME has always been genius on this one, for me - far lower latency (on the same machines) with my FF800 than my old Saffire PRO or FirePod.

Ive changed the buffer size, cant remember what too exactly now. I tired a few settings. It helped but not much. I just finished mixing an album on which I used HEAPS of plug ins with no problem at all. All guitars were recorded with amps though. It just doesnt seem to like it when I have more than 5 instances of amplitube going. No problem with other plug ins.

I have another question but first I will tell you what gear i am currently using.

Mac i7 SSD 4 gb ram, Cubase studio 4, Tascam FW 1082, Joe meek Twin Q, KRK Rockit 6 monitors.

Im in the market for something with 8 pre amps. My question is....If i went for something like the saphire 56 as an interface would I still be able to use the FW 1082 as a control surface for Cubase? And how would I hook it up? Link with the twin Q via spdif?

Is it a problem to be running two interfaces like that? Is there something equivalent to the saphire 56 that isnt an interface that could be easily connected with my gear?

Thanks in advance.

In my experience I have found that regardless of how many
audio interfaces you might have ( Firewire,USB,SPDIF,PCI,... ) ,
Cubase can usually only connect to one of them at a time.

Also, there seems to be some confusion above because it is the CPU speed that
will determine how many plugins you can run at once and the interface speed will determine
the record and playback latency .

Edit : Woops didnt read Jeffs comment about driver quality.

In my experience I have found that regardless of how many
audio interfaces you might have ( Firewire,USB,SPDIF,PCI,... ) ,
Cubase can usually only connect to one of them at a time.

Also, there seems to be some confusion above because it is the CPU speed that
will determine how many plugins you can run at once and the interface speed will determine
the record and playback latency .

So do you know how i would hhok up something with 8 pre amps to my set up?

If i hooked it up to the spdif in on the twin q would cubase then recognise it?

Yes , its easy !!
The FW 1082 seems to have 8 line ins and 4 mic preamps.
The twin Q has 2 mic preamps , so you already have 6 mic preamps.

If you obtained a new unit with 8 preamps in it, you could connect
it to the 8 line ins on the FW 1082.
In other words, connect the 8 line outs from the new preamp unit
to the 8 line ins of the FW 1082. If you do this, then Cubase only
needs to know about the FW 1082 driver.

On a Mac you can combine multiple interfaces into one by making a single aggregate audio device out of them all. It will show up as one interface in Cubase but all of the inputs should be available.

Cubase will not recognize your 1082 as a controller via SPIF.

On a Mac you can combine multiple interfaces into one by making a single aggregate audio device out of them all. It will show up as one interface in Cubase but all of the inputs should be available.

Cubase will not recognize your 1082 as a controller via SPIF.

How do I do make an aggregate device?
How do I hook it up?

Yes , its easy !!
The FW 1082 seems to have 8 line ins and 4 mic preamps.
The twin Q has 2 mic preamps , so you already have 6 mic preamps.

If you obtained a new unit with 8 preamps in it, you could connect
it to the 8 line ins on the FW 1082.
In other words, connect the 8 line outs from the new preamp unit
to the 8 line ins of the FW 1082. If you do this, then Cubase only
needs to know about the FW 1082 driver.

I just checked on my FW1082 manual and it says "Only connect a
line source or a microphone to these pairs of inputs. Do not connect a line source and a microphone to the same input pair at the same time." So I would only be able to use 4 of the 8 new pre amps.

Shit. Im looking at getting something like the OctoPre MkII Dynamic.
Would it be possible to hook it up some other way?